How to toast coconut flakes
There are a few recipes on my blog that call for crispen coconut. White cocoa chips with coconut being the most popular one but I besides use it for the nest on top of my chocolate Easter cake !
I love the balmy olfactory property of toasted coconut and favor the brittleness that ’ s added to the flakes. You should know by now, I ’ thousand all about texture when it comes to any type of food .
There are actually respective different ways to go about toasting coconut and each method acting will yield you entirely different results. My absolute favorite is to use the oven but I ’ ll let you decide which one is best for you .
How do you toast coconut?
On the stovetop
Put 2 cups of coconut in a medium-sized pan and heat it over medium-low heat for 3-6 minutes. Be sure to stir endlessly as it ’ mho heat to promote even browning .
This is my least favored manner to toast coconut. The coconut didn ’ t brown evenly despite my changeless stimulate. Some of the coconut flakes were about burnt while others were scantily toasted .
In the microwave
Put 2 cups of coconut in a medium-sized glass dish that ’ s microwave condom. I used a 6-cup pyrex storage container. Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, stopping to stir after every infinitesimal .
This was the fastest room to toast coconut and yielded more even browning than the stovetop method acting. however, the coconut didn ’ t crispen. It remained soft and slightly chewy .
In the oven
spread 2-cups of coconut in an even layer over a big bake sail and bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes. Stop to stir every two minutes .
This is my favored way to toast coconut ! It only takes a few minutes longer but look at how flush that embrown is. Every single man of coconut is toasty and crisp .
Tips for toasting coconut flakes
- Unsweetened coconut flakes take less time to toast and sweetened flaked coconut takes more time to toast. Watch the coconut closely as it’s toasting and remove from the heat source as soon as it turns light golden brown.
- Be sure to stir the coconut often as it’s toasting to promote even browning.
Did you try this recipe? I would love for you to leave me a 5-star rate or gossip. This manner, I have a better sympathize of which recipes you like and can create more of them .
Please take a moment to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Youtube or sign up for my release newsletter to never miss the newest recipes and web log updates .
You can besides shop my front-runner baking tools. Thank you so much for your support !
Continue to Content
How to Toast Coconut (3 Ways)
homework time :
cook time :
entire time :
An in-depth tutorial on how to toast coconut flakes three different ways — In the microwave, on the stovetop, and in the oven. You decide which way is best for you !
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, SEE NOTE 1
- Place the coconut in a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 3-6 minutes, stirring continuously until most of the coconut is golden brown. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Spread the coconut in the bottom of a large microwave-safe glass container. Microwave for 4-5 minutes, stopping to stir after every minute until the coconut begins to brown. Remove from dish and cool completely.
- Spread the coconut in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes until the coconut begins to brown. Remove from oven and transfer to a dish to cool completely.
- You can use sweetened flaked coconut also. It may take a few minutes longer for it to toast, so keep a close eye on it and remove it as soon as it begins to brown.
- Don’t leave the coconut in the hot dish it was toasted in. The residual heat will continue to toast it. Transfer it out of the hot dish into another container to allow it to cool.
- Store toasted coconut in a ziptop bag or airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and penis of other consort programs, I earn from qualifying purchases .
Glass Bakeware Dish
Amount Per Serving:
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional data, the values shown are precisely an estimate .
Tried this recipe? Share it on Instagram!
Mention @ introvertbaker or tag # introvertbaker !