Records you need to keep

Records you need to keep

Work out what format your records need to be in, how long to keep them and when you need them .
On this page
For a compendious of this data and specific work-related expense records you should keep, see Records you need to keep – set the record true ( PDF, 881KB ) This connect will download a charge

What is a record

Records are written evidence of your income or expenses that can be in newspaper or electronic phase. You will receive documents that are crucial for doing your tax during the income year .
You need to keep records for 5 years ( in most cases ) from the go steady you lodge your tax return. Records may include income statements, payment summaries and receipts .
Records you need will differ depending on whether they are for :
You need to keep specific records that support the claims and declarations you make as the australian tax arrangement relies on taxpayer ‘s self-assessment .

Records for payments you receive

For income you receive from salary, wages, allowances, government payments or pensions and annuities your records may include :

  • your income statement if your employer reports to us through single touch payroll (STP)
  • your Pay as you go (PAYG) payment summary – individual non-business
  • a signed letter or statement from the payer, that provides the same information as an income statement or payment summary
  • your PAYG payment summary – superannuation income stream.

For income you receive from interest or managed funds, your records or evidence may include :

  • statements, passbooks or other documents from your financial institution that show the amount of interest you receive
  • statements or advice from managed funds that show  
    • the amount of your distribution
    • the amount of any primary production or non-primary production income
    • any capital gains or losses
    • any foreign income
    • your share of any credits, such as franking credits.


Records for expenses

For most expenses you need a receipt or exchangeable document as evidence of your expenses. To claim a deduction for a work-related expense, as an employee :

  • you must have spent the money and you weren’t reimbursed
  • the expenses must directly relate to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it (usually a receipt).

You will besides need to be able to show how the expense relates to earning your income. For information about the specific records you need, see :
You can lone claim a subtraction for the work-related part of an expense. You can ’ thymine title a subtraction for any character of an expense that does n’t directly relate to earning your income or that is private .
If your entire claim for work-related expenses is more than $ 300, you must have written evidence to prove your claims .
If you are claiming the decline in rate of a depreciate asset you have used for work, such as a laptop, you must keep records for 5 years following your final claim, including :

  • purchase receipts and a depreciation schedule
  • details of how you calculated your claim for decline in value.

We may ask that you show us your records during the 5 years. It is important that you have sufficient evidence to support your claims .

Records for assets

If you acquire a capital asset you may make a capital derive or capital personnel casualty if you sell the asset in the future. To ensure you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate pay more tax than necessary, keep good records from when you buy the asset .
This may include income you receive from an investment property or dividends from shares .
For information about the specific records you need, see :

Record for local government councillors

As a local government council member, you may besides be an employee. You ‘re an employee if your local governing body decides to subject its members to the yield as you go withholding system .
If this is the subject, you need to keep written tell of the work-related and car expenses you incur in carrying out your duties as a council member .

Format of your records

You can keep your records in paper or digital format. If you make paper or digital copies, they must be a true and open copy of the original .
We recommend you keep a back-up of all your digital records .
Your documents must be in English unless you incur the expense outside Australia .
If you claim a deduction, you must have records to show how you work out your claims. Records are normally a receipt from the supplier of the goods or services. A receipt must show the :

  • name of the supplier
  • amount of the expense
  • nature of the goods or services
  • date the expense was paid
  • date of the document.

The importance of keeping records

Keeping dependable records helps you and your tax adviser :

  • to provide written evidence of your income and expenses
  • prepare your tax return
  • to ensure you are able to claim all your entitlements
  • prove the information you provide in your tax return (in case we ask you)
  • reduce the risk of tax audits and adjustments
  • improve communication with us
  • resolve issues that relate to a dispute of your assessments or adjustments
  • avoid exposure to penalties.

Keeping good records reduces the price of managing your tax affairs. If you use a tax adviser, you can reduce the clock time they spend sorting and preparing your records. This will give them more time to ensure you claim your entitlements .
If you incur expenses that you use partially for private purposes, you must have records that show how you worked out the depart of expenses that you incur in earning assessable income .
For more information, see PS LA 2005/2 Penalty for failure to keep or retain records.

How long to keep your records

broadly, you must keep your written attest for 5 years from the date you lodge your tax revert .
There are some more specific situations. If you :

  • claim a deduction for the decline in value of depreciating assets – keep records for the 5 years from the date of your last claim for decline in value
  • acquire or dispose of an asset – keep records for the 5 years after it is certain that no capital gains tax (CGT) event can happen
  • are in dispute with us – keep records for the later of either        
    • 5 years from the date you lodge your tax return
    • 5 years from the date the dispute is resolved.


Keeping digital records with myDeductions

Our myDeductions tool is a record-keeping joyride you can use to keep path of your records digitally. Using the myDeductions tool makes keeping your records including photos easier .
We recognise documents you store digitally, including photos of your receipts as records .
sole traders with simple affairs can besides use it to help keep track of their business income and expenses .
You can upload your records from the myDeductions tool and pre-fill your myTax return. If you use a file tax agent, you can besides email your records directly to them .
The myDeductions cock allows you to keep your records for :

  • all work-related expenses (including car trips)
  • interest and dividend deductions
  • gifts or donations
  • costs of managing tax affairs
  • sole trader expenses and business income
  • other deductions.

Watch: A flying demonstration of myDeductions
Media: A quick demonstration of myDeductions
hypertext transfer protocol : // ? v=bd1bdiubgosm84External Link ( Duration: 1:22 )

Record keeping exceptions

phonograph record keeping exceptions are available to make things simpler. Exceptions don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate allow you to claim an automatic rifle discount .
Exceptions exist for :
In some circumstances you may not need receipts, but you still need to show :

  • you spent the money yourself
  • how you worked out your claim.

Small and hard to get receipts

You don ’ t have to get and keep a receipt for expenses :

  • that are $10 or less, as long as your total claim for small expenses is $200 or less
  • where you are unable to get a receipt from a supplier.

You can inactive claim a deduction if the nature and choice of your testify shows you spent the money and are entitled to claim a deduction. evidence can include :

  • a bank or credit card statement that shows  
    • the amount that was paid
    • when and to who amounts were paid.


  • other documents that outline the nature of the goods or services
  • a written record in your work diary.

If you pay cash to a supplier and have no other documents to support your claim, you will not have sufficient evidence to claim a deduction .

Lost or destroyed records

If your records are unintentionally lost or destroyed, you may be able to claim a deduction for certain expenses. For example, your records are stolen during a burglary or destroyed in a disaster. You can claim a deduction if you can either :

  • provide a complete copy of the lost or destroyed records
  • satisfy us that you took reasonable precautions to prevent the loss or destruction and it’s not reasonably possible to get a copy of the records.

We may besides be able to help you with Reconstructing your tax records .
For more information on the relief from the effects of a failure to substantiate expenses, see TR 97/24 Income tax: relief from the effects of failing to substantiate.
Work out what format your records need to be in, how long to keep them and when you need them .

informant :
Category : How To

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.