When your chase is in the proper down put, its chest, elbows, and hocks are in liaison with the prime. ideally, it should stay there until you release it. With practice, you can get your andiron to perfect its down, and it is an comfortable command to teach .
Reading: How to Train Your Dog to Lie Down
How to Teach Your Dog to Lie Down
Before you begin, make surely you have enough of delightful training treats to offer your cad. ideally, the treats should be humble, soft, and delightful to your chase. Reserve these treats for train sessions only and use different treats for cosmopolitan rewards .
Set aside five to ten minutes in an area release of distractions. If you use clicker aim with your dog, be certain to have your clicker handy .
- Begin by getting your dog’s attention. Show him that you have a treat in your hand.
- Hold the treat in front of your dog’s nose but don’t let him get it yet. Next, slowly move the treat towards the ground, letting your dog follow it.
- Repeat this motion until your dog is all the way down. Try pulling the treat away a little bit if your dog isn’t following it down with his body.
- Once your dog is fully lying down (meaning his elbows and hocks are on the ground) give your dog the treat followed by petting and praise.
- Once your dog is consistently doing the down motion with the treat, add in the verbal cue. Say the word “down” clearly and firmly while moving the treat to the ground.
- Repeat this until your dog lies down with only the verbal cue and no treat-guiding. Continue to reward with a treat after your dog lies down.
It ‘s best to have short train sessions once or twice a sidereal day. Have the sessions in diverse locations, including both indoor and outdoor areas. Always try to end the sessions on a positive note. If needed, find another cue that your frank knows ( like sit down ) and end with that followed by a treat .
Add the acquittance
When your frump can successfully lie down on command, it ‘s time to introduce your free word. This is what you ‘ll say when you give permission for your andiron to get up. many people use the word “ o ” for the spill discriminative stimulus, but any give voice you want to use will work a long as you ‘re reproducible .
Start with small increments of time, making your dog lie down for no more than 30 seconds before releasing him. To instill this, you can use the “ stay ” command and then your turn command when you ‘re cook to let the chase go. Work your manner up to longer periods of meter so your cad will stay gloomy until you say “ all right, ” no topic how long it is .
Problems and Proofing Behavior
If you are still having trouble getting your cad to lie down with treats, you can try marking the behavior. next time your dog naturally lies down, say “ down, ” then praise and reward it. Try this every prison term you catch it lying down. You ‘ll credibly need to carry treats with you if this is going to work. It ‘s besides reasonably easy to capture behaviors with a clicker .
When your dog responds quickly to the down prompt, try to gradually add in distractions. You should besides proof the demeanor by training in multiple locations and scenarios.
once your frump becomes an technical at lying down, you nobelium longer need to give a cover every time. It ‘s a good idea to give treats occasionally to reinforce the demeanor. In addition, rewarding with praise is always a commodity theme. After all, your cad loves to please you, the treats are fair a bonus .
- If your dog does not lie down on his own after a few tries, avoid pushing him down into position. It’s a common mistake that owners make and dogs generally do not learn this way.
- Do not yell at or punish your dog as this will only discourage him.
- If your dog doesn’t respond well to the usual treats, try a more valuable treat, like fresh meat.