Gas fireplaces are typically literature using a fender light that ignites the boast. This modest flare stays on continuously to quickly start a fire when needed. Although the specific steps for how to start a gas fireplace will depend on your claim model, most are ignited using a command panel, key, wall interchange, or remote. We ‘ve outlined some of the most common methods below, arsenic good as what to do if your gas fireplace wo n’t start. Before attempting to light your gasoline fireplace, refer to the owner ‘s manual to learn about how the unit operates. It ‘s besides authoritative to follow the proper guard precautions when using your gas fireplace. Keep all flammable objects at least 3 feet away from the fireplace, and be careful not to touch the glass when it is on to avoid burns. Ensure your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly and have your boast fireplace inspected per annum. If you start to smell gas when trying to light your fireplace, turn off the supply, leave the house, and call an technical.
woman sitting by the fire with a glass of wine
credit : Westend61/Getty Images
How to Light a Gas Fireplace with the Control Panel
many modern natural gas fireplaces feature a see dialog box that allows you to ignite and manage the flames. These controls are often hidden behind a front screen or cosmetic panel that you can open or remove for access. Follow these steps to light your natural gas fireplace using the control control panel.
- Step 1: Remove the screen or cover to access the control panel. In many cases, you can simply pull off the cover.
- Step 2: Locate the control knob that reads “on,” “off,” and “pilot.” If it was previously on, turn the knob to the off position and wait at least five minutes to allow any lingering gas to disperse.
- Step 3: If your fireplace includes a gas shutoff valve, make sure it is open. The knob or switch should be parallel to the gas line.
- Step 4: Twist the control knob to the pilot position and push in the knob to start the flow of gas.
- Step 5: Press the fireplace’s ignition switch, which is typically a red button, about once every second until the fireplace lights. This might take several pushes to ignite, depending on how long it’s been since you lit the fireplace.
- Step 6: Continue holding down the control knob for at least 30 seconds to ensure the flame stays lit.
- Step 7: Release the knob. If the flame stays lit, move the knob to the on position and replace the fireplace cover.
How to Start a Gas Fireplace with a Key
Some gas fireplaces use a metal key to turn on the gas menstruate and start the flames. Use these instructions to light a gas fireplace with a key.
Read more: How to Tie a Tie: 7 Knots for All Occasions
- Step 1: Remove the outer cover of the fireplace to access the burner.
- Step 2: Locate the metal keyhole near the fireplace. This small, round slot could be located on the floor in front of the fireplace or on the surrounding wall.
- Step 3: Insert the end of the key into the keyhole until it locks in place.
- Step 4: Ignite a long lighter and place it next to the pilot burner.
- Step 5: Turn the key counterclockwise to start the flow of gas and light the pilot.
- Step 6: Rotate the key in the keyhole to adjust the height of the flame as needed.
How to Turn On a Gas Fireplace with a Wall Switch or Remote
Some flatulence fireplaces use electricity to ignite and adjust the flames. If your unit is operated by a wall switch or remote, you should be able to simply push the button or flip the switch to the “ on ” side to start the fireplace. note that accelerator fireplaces with an electric ignition typically will not work if the ability is out .
What to Do if Your Gas Fireplace Won’t Start
several issues could contribute to a gasoline fireplace that wo n’t light. First, check that the fly is lighted. impregnable drafts or interruptions in the gas stream can cause the pilot burner light to go out, making it unmanageable to start the flames. In this case, you ‘ll simply need to relight the pilot manually. You should besides ensure that the gasoline valve is open and emitting gasoline to the fireplace. A lack of ability might besides create problems with your fireplace. If the unit is operated by a distant, test the batteries to ensure the remote control is working by rights. A trip surf could besides prevent a fireplace with an electric ignition from lighting. If you ‘ve checked these areas and your gas fireplace calm wo n’t light, call an expert to have your unit inspected for larger issues .