A sensitive neck can make getting a restful night ’ mho sleep difficult. But making a few adjustments to the manner you sleep can help you manage your neck pain and prevent you from spending hours in poor positions overnight. Let ’ s analyze which sleeping positions are most likely to help you manage your neck trouble. We ’ ll besides take a attend at what else you can do ahead sleep together to help minimize discomfort.
Best sleeping position for neck pain
The position that you sleep in is powerfully related to the quality of your sleep. If you ’ rhenium dealing with neck discomfort, the best positions for sleep are on your back or side. These are both less nerve-racking on your spine than sleeping on your stomach. It may be difficult to change your sleeping stead, since your prefer stead is frequently determined early in animation. however, over time, you ’ ll become more comfortable as the modern position becomes familiar. Most people move approximately in the middle of the night, indeed having extra pillows around can help you stay comfortable even if you shift .
Sleeping on your back
Sleeping on your back helps maintain your spine ’ south natural curves. You can use a thin pillow in this position than you would when sleeping on your side. Your head position should be only slenderly raised so that it ’ sulfur at a alike fish as when you ’ rhenium stand. Using a cervical pillow or a memory foam pillow can help support your head or neck. If you regularly snore or deal with sleep apnea, you may want to try sleeping on your side rather of your back .
Sleeping on your side
Sleeping on your slope is one of the best ways to keep your steer impersonal, with your chin uncoiled ahead. When sleeping in this side, it ’ s a good theme to use a pillow high enough to keep your neck impersonal but not then high that your amphetamine auricle is forced toward your shoulder .
Avoid sleeping on your stomach
If you ’ rhenium dealing with neck pain, it ’ s a good idea to avoid sleeping on your stomach. In this position, your steer is forced to one side for hours at a time. This faulty alignment can put excess stress on your neck.
Best way to sleep with neck pain
Your spine naturally arches in three places. It curves forth at your neck and lower back. It curves the other room in your amphetamine back. Setting up your bed to best wield these natural curves can help you minimize neck or back pain.
many people find that using a memory foam helps them manage their neck pain. A 2019 survey found that combining a viscoelastic polyurethane memory foam pillow with chiropractic treatment was more effective than chiropractic discussion alone. You can besides try using a balmy feather pillow that forms to your head or a pillow with cervical confirm. If you sleep on your back :
- Use a thin pillow. A thin pillow lets you keep your upper spine in its natural position with a slight forward curve.
- Try a cervical pillow. A cervical pillow supports your neck and head to keep them in a neutral position.
- Use a supportive mattress. If your mattress is too soft, you may find that you sink into it and your back rounds.
When sleeping on your side :
- Avoid overly high pillows. Ideally, your pillow should be a height that keeps your ears stacked vertically over each other. If your pillow is too high or low, your neck will bend and you may develop pain over time.
- Keep chin neutral. Try to avoid tucking your chin if you’re sleeping in the fetal position. Tucking your chin positions your head forward.
- Try putting a pillow between your knees. Putting a pillow between your knees helps keep your lower spine in alignment.
How to sleep with a stiff neck and shoulder or back
To avoid aggravating a huffy shoulder, it ’ s a well idea to sleep either on your reverse side or your back. If you ’ re on your back, you can try putting a pillow future to your sensitive shoulder to discourage yourself from rolling that steering in the middle of the night. For rear pain, you should avoid sleeping on your stomach. Sleeping on your stomach puts surfeit try on your vertebra. Some positions that you may find serve relieve your pain include :
- sleeping on your back slightly reclined
- sleeping on your back with a pillow under your knees
- sleeping in the fetal position
- sleeping with a pillow between your knees
Other considerations for sleeping with neck pain
A 2015 discipline found that people with chronic neck annoyance are less likely to improve if they experience hapless rest quality. Making sure you ’ re getting a good nox ’ sulfur sleep is one of the best ways to heal from neck pain. Ibuprofen may help reduce your pain if you ’ rhenium dealing with an acute issue. Make indisputable you don ’ t take it on an empty stomach, don ’ t exceed more than 1,200 milligrams in 1 day, and don ’ t take it longer than 10 days unless approved by a doctor. Some people find that hotness and ice besides helps them manage their pain. You can alternate between the two, depending on which provides more easing. gently stretching your neck before layer and when you first wake up may besides help you manage your pain. According to the Cleveland Clinic, the following stretches may help :
- Roll your shoulder back and down 10 times.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together 10 times.
- Push the back of your head into your hands for 30 seconds.
- Bring each ear to your shoulder 10 times.
Neck trouble becomes more common as you get older and the muscles in your neck weaken. No matter your old age, spending besides much meter in regretful postures can lead to pain. Some ways you can prevent neck pain from starting admit :
- Sit and stand with good posture as much as possible.
- Try using a horseshoe-shaped pillow on planes and other transport.
- Take frequent breaks from long periods of sitting.
- Put your computer monitor at eye level.
- Stretch regularly.
- Hold your phone in front of your face instead of looking down.
- Avoid carrying heavy bags with a strap.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach.
Read more: How to Tie a Tie: 7 Knots for All Occasions
Almost everybody will experience a sore neck at some point. Sleeping on your side or back can help you keep the stress off your neck and do pain. You should avoid sleeping on your digest if possible. Sleeping on your abdomen puts your neck at an awkward angle that may make your pain worse .