In this bit-by-bit guide, you ’ ll learn precisely how to shred chicken using four unlike methods : your hands, two forks, a hand mixer and a stand mixer. shop it in the electric refrigerator or deep-freeze for easy meal homework and be sure to check out all of our delectable recipes using shred chicken at the bottom of the post .
Introducing: the AK Back to Basics series
Loving these utilitarian how-to guides and bit-by-bit tutorials ? We ’ re launching a FREE serial where we ’ ll aid you tackle a new kitchen or cooking problem once per week !
Join the AK VIP list to start getting all of our amazing Back to Basics posts deoxyadenosine monophosphate soon as they come out .
The best ways to cook shredded chicken
Before shredding wimp you ’ ll of run need to cook it. Head to my wax tutorial to learn the best, easy ways to cook chicken breast that you can use as a blank sail for shredding and adding to a kind of recipes. You ’ ll learn :
Be certain to check out our best wimp marinades to create delectable, alone flavors for your chopped wimp !
So you have some cooked chicken, now what?
It ’ sulfur time to shred it, child ! I have four methods for shredding chicken that are quick, easy and will save you money by not buying pre-shredded wimp. The four methods use :
- Your hands: recommended for any types of chicken ( whole roasted chicken, cooked chicken breasts or thighs and even cooked chicken drumsticks ) .
- Two forks: this method acting is besides great for the above types of chicken if you ’ d like to keep things a little cleaners
- A hand mixer: use this method acting for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs .
- A stand mixer (not just for cookies anymore!): you can besides use this method acting for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs .
What types of chicken are best for shredding?
Each of these methods will work for multiple cuts of wimp, but please note that the stopping point two sociable methods are not recommended for bone-in chicken cuts .
- Boneless chicken: I prefer to shred boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but boneless, skinless wimp second joint bring identical well, besides, and you can even use a desegregate if you ’ d like !
- Bone-in chicken tips: if you are shredding cooked, bone-in chicken like a unharmed roasted chicken or chicken drumsticks, I find that using your hands work beneficial to feel about and avoid the bones. You ’ ll then get all of the kernel off the bones very well. These cuts likely have skin on them, excessively, so feel complimentary to shred it alone with the chicken kernel or discard it .
How much shredded chicken am I getting?
many recipes call for a sealed measure of cooked, shredded chicken, but how much wimp should you then start with ?
As a rule of thumb: 1 cypriot pound of cooked, boneless chicken ( breasts or thighs ) will make about 2 ½ cups of shred chicken .
Method 1: use your hands to shred chicken
Feel free to use cook boneless skinless chicken breast & second joint or even a full roasted chicken or chicken drumsticks with this method acting .
Step 1: after you ’ ve cooked your chicken , be certain it ’ s cool adequate to handle with your hands ( but still warm ) before shredding. Place your chicken on a blank surface like a cutting board or plate .
Step 2: use your hands to pull the chicken breast apart into even pieces until the chicken is shredded into desired size pieces .
Step 3: finish shredding all of your chicken breast, use it in your front-runner recipe, storehouse it in an airtight container in the electric refrigerator for later, or see below for instructions on freeze !
Method 2: use two forks
Feel release to use fudge chicken front & thigh or even a fully roasted chicken or chicken drumsticks with this method acting .
Step 1: take your ardent, cooked chicken front and place it on a hardy cutting board ( use the code ‘ambitiouskitchen15’ for 15% off my darling ones ! )
Step 2: rate two forks at the concentrate of the breast and pull the chicken apart into pieces .
Step 3: continue with step 2 and shred the chicken into smaller and smaller pieces until you have the desired sized shreds .
Method 3: use a hand mixer
I recommend alone using boneless cooked chicken summit & thigh with this method acting .
Step 1: stead your cooked chicken breast or thighs in a deep stadium .
Step 2: manipulation a hand mixer on moo accelerate to cautiously break apart the chicken into shreds .
Step 3: continue with step 2 until your wimp is evenly shredded. You may need to shred larger pieces aside as you go to get nice, even shreds of chicken .
Method 4: use a stand mixer
I recommend alone using boneless cooked chicken breast & thigh with this method acting .
Step 1: invest your cooked chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer.
Read more: How to Tie a Tie: 7 Knots for All Occasions
Step 2: use the spank attachment, turn the base mixer on low, and let the stall mixer shred your chicken breast or thighs .
Step 3: continue shredding with the paddle fastening for about 15-20 seconds until all of your wimp is fully shredded .
Store & freeze shredded chicken for later
Meal prep your chopped wimp to have protein on hand for weeks or months !
- To store: store the shred chicken in airtight containers or resealable bags for up to 3-4 days .
- To freeze: freeze shredded chicken in airtight containers or bags for up to 3 months. Simply reheat the chopped chicken in the refrigerator before using it in recipes .
Recipes using shredded chicken
once you have some delightful shredded chicken, it ’ randomness clock time to use it up ! here are a few of my fav recipes that use shredded chicken or would be delectable with some in it :
And be sure to check out all of our delightful wimp recipes here !
I hope you love these easy methods for shredding wimp ! If you try any of them leave a gloss then I know how it went and how you used your shred wimp. Enjoy, xo !
How to Shred Chicken (four easy ways!)
votesLeave A Review
The best easy methods for shredding cooked chicken ! In this tutorial, you ’ ll teach precisely how to shred chicken so that you can use it in tons of different recipes. Save time and money with these four simple methods.
cooked chicken* ( see notes on the methods in the blog post above for using chicken summit & thighs versus bone-in chicken )
- Using your hands: after you ’ ve cooked your wimp, be certain it ’ south cool enough to handle with your hands ( but even strong ) before shredding. Place your chicken on a clean surface like a cutting board or plate. Use your hands to pull the chicken front apart into even pieces until the chicken is shredded into desired size pieces .
- With two forks: take your affectionate, cooked chicken breast and invest it on a hardy cutting board. Place two forks at the center of the breast and pull the wimp apart into pieces. Continue with step 2 and shred the wimp into smaller and smaller pieces until you have the desired size shreds .
- With a hand mixer: place your cooked chicken breast or thighs in a deep bowl. Use a hand mixer on broken accelerate to cautiously break apart the wimp into shreds. You may need to shred larger pieces apart as you go to get nice, even shreds of chicken.
- With a stand mixer: Place your cooked chicken in the bowl of a stand mixer. Use the toddle attachment, turn the stand mixer on depleted, and let the stand mixer shred all of your chicken breast or second joint. This should merely take around 15-20 seconds .
Please read the full post to see notes on using these methods for chicken breast & thighs versus bone-in chicken .
Recipe by : Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by : Eat Love Eats