Important Information about Indian Passport Renewal Process
- All the Indian Passport services are handled by VFS Global (https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind). Individual Indian consulates will no longer accept passport related services directly. All communications and applications associated with Indian passport renewal must be through VFS Global.
- All applicants for passport related activities have to fill an online Order Form whether applying in person or by mail. The application has to include a copy of the form. This is to enable VFS real-time tracking of the applications.
How to Apply for Passport Renewal
You can apply either in person or by mail to VFS Global. Both the modes of application require a common procedure for the applicants to follow : STEP 1 : Identify the consular jurisdiction in which you want to apply for the recommendation services.
STEP 2 : Submit the command documents
- Complete the Online Application form
- Select the type of service required in the online application form: Re-issue of Passport.
- Fill the VFS Global form
- Attach the supporting documents
STEP 3 : Pay the want Passport Renewal Fee
STEP 1: Consular Jurisdiction
Where to apply for Indian passport renewal?
- Following are the details with applicable processing time, addresses, and jurisdiction based on your residence in USA. Please apply accordingly.
|VFS Global||Address/Contact information||Consular Jurisdiction||Processing time|
|Washington DC|| Center timing : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport pickup : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 1025 Vermont Ave, NW, Suite 320, , Washington, DC 20005, USA
|Bermuda, Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia||Minimum 1-3 weeks. Minimum 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance.|
| Center timing : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport pickup : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 145 W 45th street, 3rd shock, New York, NY 10036, USA
|Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.||Additional 10 days|
| Center time : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport pickup : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 180 N Stetson Avenue,20th Floor, Suite # 2075, Chicago, Illinois 60601
|Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, and Wisconsin||Minimum 4 weeks. 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance.|
|Houston (TX)|| SubCenter time : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport pickup : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 1001 Texas Ave # 550, Houston, TX 77002, USA
|Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado and Nebraska||1-3 weeks. 6 weeks or more if the case is referred for clearance.|
|San Francisco (CA)|| Center time : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport tone arm : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 228 Grant Ave, Floor 5, San Francisco, CA – 94108
|Alaska, Arizona, California, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Wyoming||2-3 weeks|
| Center time : 9:00 AM – 2:00PM
Passport pickup : 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Monday-Friday address : 5607, Glenridge Drive NE, Suite No.725, Atlanta, GA-30342
|Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virgin Islands||6-8 weeks.
4 additional weeks if the passport is referred for clearance.
STEP 2: Documents Required for Re-issue or Renewal of Indian Passport in USA:
- Copy of the VFS Order Form
- A Filled and Signed Checklist. Print the checklist, tick it, and arrange the application in that order before submitting the form in person or by post.
- Online Application Form filled and signed by the applicant.
- 3 Copies of the filled Nationality Verification Form/ Personal Particulars form and 3 photographs for personal particular form.
- 3 recent (2″ X 2″ color, front facing against a white background) color photographs. 8 photographs are required in case the passport is expired for more than 3 years. Glue one photo on the first page of the online application form in the space provided. The second one has to be glued on the Nationality Verification Form and the rest have to be stapled to the last page of the application form. See photo requirements.
- Attach a notarized color copy of Green Card or Employment Authorization card or copy of legal status in the US such as H1B/ B1/ B2 Visa, whichever is applicable.
- Attach the original passport. If the passport is less than 5 years old, attach the previous passport too.
- Attach photocopies of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of the current passport.
- Applicable Fee that is non-refundable.
Notarized Documents Required:
If applying in person or via mail, please ensure that all photocopies of supporting documents are notarized. notarize photocopies of the following are required :
- Notarized Color photocopy of current valid US visa on passport or Green card or Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice documents. Student visa holders must attach the I-20 document.
- If your visa has expired, or you have the receipt notice for extension on the visa, a notarized no status affidavit along with notarized photocopies of the valid passport and the green card of two witnesses are required. 7 Copies of Nationality Verification Form are also required. Each copy must have an original photograph affixed on it. This is only for New York, San Francisco, and Houston applicants. Washington, Atlanta, Houston, and Chicago applicants must go to the consulate in person for an interview before applying at their respective passport application center.
- In case the current passport does not include spouse’s name a notarized photocopy of the marriage certificate is required. A copy of the passport or US ID of the spouse is also required in the application.
- Female applicants must include notarized affidavit of change in name from maiden to married.
- Notarized photocopy of the residential proof of the applicant (State ID, Driver’s License, Utility bills, Rental Lease Agreement or Home Mortgage Bill. For applicants above the age of 60 a copy of State ID can be submitted.
- If the passport is expired for less than 6 months a letter is required from the applicant explaining “why the passport was not renewed in required time frame.” If it is 6 months or more past the expiration date, a notarized affidavit and 7 copies of the Nationality Verification Form are required. Each form must have an original photograph attached to it. Houston Jurisdiction applicants have to submit a 4 points affidavit too.
- An affidavit form for change of appearance and current notarized photo are required if the applicant’s appearance has changed significantly from the appearance in the current passport.
Note: Some extra documents may be required. Please check with the Embassy/Consulate/Passport Application Center in your jurisdiction for the necessitate information. Submission: All necessitate documents have to be submitted in either a UPS or FedEx envelope only. Specifications of this envelope are available on the VFS web site. Any other form of submission is not encouraged. Envelopes can not be altered in any form either. Shipping labels can be printed out of the web site. IMPORTANT – merely ONE application per envelope. multiple applications in one envelope will be rejected.
STEP 3: Passport Renewal Fee / Re-issue Fee (10 years)
If applying in person the fee can be paid by credit card. The tip is subject to change without prior notice. A dislocation of the fee structure and the sum fee is given below :
|A(Consular Fee)||Passport Fees||As per adult / minor and applicable category|
|ICWF – Indian Community Welfare Fund||$3|
|B(VFS Fee)||VFS Service Fee||$15.50 per application|
|Optional Fee||Courier Service, text message etc|
|Total Payment A+B|
- Payment has to be made separately for each Applicant.
- Convenience charges will apply for Credit Card.
- Cash will NOT be accepted.
- Personal Checks will NOT be accepted.
- If fees are not paid in full, VFS will not be responsible for any delays and consequential charges that you may incur.
These forms can besides be filled on the indian Consulate web site. however, once you the forms are filled out there, you will be redirected second to VFS wherein you click on the “ Already Filled “ check with the Reference number given to you on the politics web site and continue the process there .