A repair can frequently diagnose dandruff simply by looking at your haircloth and scalp .
The itch and flake of dandruff can about always be controlled. For meek dandruff, first gear hear regular cleansing with a pacify shampoo to reduce oil and skin cell buildup. If that does n’t help, try a medicate dandruff shampoo. Some people can tolerate using a medicated shampoo two to three times a workweek, with unconstipated shampooing on other days if needed. People with dry hair would benefit from less frequent shampoo and a humidify conditioner for the haircloth or scalp .
Hair and scalp products, both medicated and nonmedicated, are available as solutions, foams, gels, sprays, ointments and oils. You may need to try more than one intersection to find the everyday that works for you. And you ‘ll likely need repeated or long-run treatment.
If you develop itching or stinging from any merchandise, stop using it. If you develop an allergic reaction — such as a rash, hives or difficulty breathing — seek immediate checkup attention .
Dandruff shampoo are classified according to the medication they contain. Some are available in stronger formulations by prescription .
- Pyrithione zinc shampoos (DermaZinc, Head & Shoulders, others). These contain the antibacterial and antifungal agent zinc pyrithione.
- Tar-based shampoos (Neutrogena T/Gel, Scalp 18 Coal Tar Shampoo, others). Coal tar slows how quickly skin cells on your scalp die and flake off. If you have light-colored hair, this type of shampoo may cause discoloration. It can also make the scalp more sensitive to sunlight.
- Shampoos containing salicylic acid (Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo, Baker P&S, others). These products help eliminate scaling.
- Selenium sulfide shampoos (Head & Shoulders Intensive, Selsun Blue, others). These contain an antifungal agent. Use these products as directed and rinse well after shampooing, as they can discolor the hair and scalp.
- Ketoconazole shampoos (Nizoral Anti-Dandruff). This shampoo is intended to kill dandruff-causing fungi that live on your scalp.
- Fluocinolone shampoos (Capex, Derma-Smoothe/FS, others). These products contain a corticosteroid to help control itching, flaking and irritation.
If one type of shampoo works for a prison term and then seems to lose its potency, try alternating between two types of dandruff shampoo. once your dandruff is under control, try using the medicated shampoo less frequently for care and prevention .
Read and follow the directions on each bottle of shampoo you try. Some products need to be left on for a few minutes, while others need to be rinsed off promptly .
If you ‘ve used medicated shampoo regularly for respective weeks and still have dandruff, talk to your doctor or dermatologist. You may need a prescription-strength shampoo or a steroid lotion .
There is a problem with information submitted for this request. Review/update the information highlighted below and resubmit the human body .
Get the latest health information from Mayo Clinic’s experts.
Sign up for dislodge, and stay astir to date on research advancements, health tips and stream health topics, like COVID-19, plus expertness on managing health .
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid e-mail address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information, and understand which information is beneficial, we may combine your electronic mail and web site usage information with other data we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic affected role, this could include protected health data. If we combine this information with your protect health information, we will treat all of that data as protect health information and will merely use or disclose that data as set forth in our detect of privacy practices. You may opt-out of electronic mail communications at any clock time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the e-mail .
Thank you for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information.
Sorry something went wrong with your subscription
Please, try again in a couple of minutes
Lifestyle and home remedies
You can take steps to reduce your risk of developing dandruff or to control it :
- Learn to manage stress. Stress affects your overall health, making you susceptible to a number of conditions and diseases. It can even help trigger dandruff or worsen existing symptoms.
- Eat a healthy diet. A diet that provides enough zinc, B vitamins and certain types of fats may help prevent dandruff.
- Develop a hair and scalp care routine that suits you. If you tend to have an oily scalp, daily shampooing may help prevent dandruff. Gently massage your scalp to loosen flakes. Rinse thoroughly. If your hair tends to be dry and your scalp is sensitive, shampoo less frequently and condition your scalp between washings (Design Essentials, Melanin Haircare, ScalpBliss).
- Get a little sun. Sunlight may be good for controlling dandruff. But because exposure to ultraviolet light damages your skin and increases your risk of skin cancer, don’t sunbathe. Instead, just spend a little time outdoors. And be sure to wear sunscreen on your face and body.
- Limit hair-styling products. Hair-styling products can build up on your hair and scalp, making them oilier.
- Mayo Clinic Minute: Tips for dealing with dandruff
Tea corner oil is included in a count of shampoo, but there is no strong tell to support its use for dandruff control. It comes from the leaves of the australian tea tree ( Melaleuca alternifolia ) and has been used for centuries as an antiseptic, antibiotic and fungicidal agent. The vegetable oil may cause allergic reactions in some people .
Mayo Clinic Minute: Tips for dealing with dandruff
“ When person visits a primary care supplier or a dermatologist regarding dandruff, we need to do an examination of the scalp. ”
Mayo Clinic dermatologist, Dr. Dawn Davis says there are two coarse causes for dandruff flakes on the scalp .
“ We can differentiate whether the patient has hyperactive oil glands, merely sobriety and dehydration causing scaling and peel off, or a combination thereof. ”
You can treat both types of dandruff with special shampoo that have active agent ingredients designed to reduce discomfort and rehydrate the scalp .
“ Be careful and mindful how you use your shampoo. ” Dr. Davis says most dandruff shampoos need to be left on the scalp for more than five minutes .
“ Shampoo has a precipitate that once applied takes several minutes to separate itself out to allow it to remain on the bark to become active voice. ”
And Dr. Davis says dandruff fighting routines can become less effective over time, so for best results she recommends rotating among up to three shampoos with unlike active voice ingredients. ”
For the Mayo Clinic News Network, I ‘m Jeff Olson .
Preparing for your appointment
You do n’t need any special preparations for an date to diagnose dandruff. Your doctor will likely be able to diagnose your dandruff plainly by looking at your scalp and bark. If you ‘ve started using any new haircloth care products, bring the bottles with you to your appointment or be prepared to tell your doctor about them, which help in determining the cause of your dandruff .