Go ahead and take a here and now to make an obligatory “ I ’ thousand deleting Instagram ” post if you ’ d like. After that, you have two ways you can go about it .
Deleting Instagram using the iOS or Android App
The easiest way, of class, would be through the Instagram app on your call, though presently, the option international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine available for everyone. To check if it is, go to your profile, tap the hamburger menu in the top right, and blue-ribbon Settings. then go to Account, and scroll down to the bottom of the menu. You may see a “ Delete Account ” button under the “ Branded Content ” button .
If you have it, tapping on it will bring up a menu asking if you want to delete or disable your bill — you can read more about those other options in the “ Temporarily suspending your Instagram account ” segment of this how-to. Pressing the “ Delete account ” clitoris will bring up a message saying that you can stop the deletion process by a certain date if you log back in. Tap the red “ Continue deleting bill push button, ” and the app will walk you through the rest of the process.
Reading: How to delete your Instagram account
If you don ’ t have the “ Delete Account ” option, you can try it on the web, as follows .
Deleting Instagram on the web
If you can ’ thymine use the app to delete your account, you ’ ll have to follow these steps to ditch your report — they can be followed using either a computer or call, adenine hanker as you ’ re using a browser .
- First, you’ll have to go to Instagram’s special account removal request page, which can be found here, or by following the link in Instagram’s account deletion help article. If you’re not logged into Instagram for the web (most people won’t be), you’ll have to enter your credentials. In fact, it’s very likely you’ll have to put in your password twice throughout the deletion process, so now’s probably a good time to make sure you know what it is.
- You should end up on a page with the old Instagram logo and a dropdown asking you why you want to delete your account. Depending on which option you choose, you may be shown various links to Instagram’s help center promising to fix your issues or a message helpfully reminding you to check which account you’re deleting.
- Whichever you pick, there’ll be a box below the links that asks you to reenter your password. After you do, tap or click the button that says “Delete (your account name),” and confirm that you’re sure.
As Instagram says a few times on the report deletion foliate, your data won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate be immediately erase — Meta will keep it around for 30 days. But your profile and posts will be hidden on the locate .
If you ’ re completely breaking up with Instagram, don ’ thyroxine forget to remove the app from your earphone arsenic well. Doing so will save you a little space and will besides put a little bit of friction between you and signing back up for the service.
How to un-delete your Instagram account
Be aware that you won ’ thymine be able to bring your account back if it ’ sulfur been over 30 days since you asked Instagram to delete it. You ’ ll have to recreate your account ( your username will be freed up after your account ’ south deleted, but it ’ s possible person could ’ ve taken it ) .
however, if you ’ re within that 30-day time period, you can get your account binding, along with its posts and DMs. To do then, plainly go back to Instagram and log in with your credentials. You ’ ll see a message saying that you requested your account be deleted, along with the date your data will be gone. To keep that from happening, just press the “ Keep Account ” button .
Temporarily suspending your Instagram account
If you want to remove your account from public opinion, but don ’ thymine want to permanently delete all your photos and messages, you can suspend your account rather.
again, Meta makes you use the web version of Instagram, alternatively of the app, but at least you won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate have to get a link from a help oneself article .
- After logging into Instagram.com, go to your profile and click the Edit Profile button (if you’re using a mobile browser, you’ll have to tap the settings cog to get the option).
- From there, go to “Edit Profile”> “Temporarily disable my account” (it’ll be an option at the very bottom). As with deleting your account, you’ll have to select a reason why you’re suspending your account, and put in your password.
To re-enable your report, simply log back in using the app or the web site. You ’ ll only be able to suspend your report once a week, so if you by chance log rear in your profile, your posts will be back on-line and visible to followers, at least for a little while .
Update February 8th, 2022, 5:25PM ET: This article was in the first place published November 17th, 2021. Updated to add instructions for deleting your account through the app .