How to Make a PowerPoint Slide
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint.
- If a page with templates doesn’t automatically open, go to ‘File’ at the top left of your screen and click ‘New Presentation’.
- To use a template, either click the ‘Design’ tab or go to ‘File’ again and click ‘New from Template’.
- Insert a new slide by clicking on the ‘Home’ tab and then the ‘New Slide’ button.
- Consider what content you want to put on the slide, including heading, text, and imagery.
- Keep the amount of text under 6-8 lines (or 30 words) at a minimum of size 24 pt.
- Add images by clicking ‘Insert’ and clicking the ‘Pictures’ icon.
- Add other elements by using features in the ‘Home’ and ‘Insert’ tabs on the top ribbon.
- Play around with the layout by dragging elements around with your mouse.
I like to think of Microsoft PowerPoint as a quiz of basic professional skills. To create a pass presentation, I need to demonstrate design skills, technical literacy, and a sense of personal style .
If the display has a problem ( like an unintended baptismal font, a break link, or indecipherable text ), then I ’ ve credibly failed the screen. even if my spoken presentation is well rehearsed, a bad ocular experience can ruin it for the audience .
expertness means nothing without a good PowerPoint presentation to back it up. For starters, grab your collection of unblock PowerPoint templates below .
10 Free PowerPoint Templates
Tell us a little about yourself below to gain access today.
No topic your topic, successful PowerPoints depend on three independent factors : your command of PowerPoint ‘s blueprint tools, your attention to presentation processes, and your devotion to reproducible stylus. here are some dim-witted tips to help you start mastering each of those factors, and do n’t forget to check out the extra resources at the bottom of this mail .
How to Make a PowerPoint Presentation
A presentation is made up of multiple slides, and now that you know how to make one, you can delve deeper into PowerPoint ‘s capabilities .
1. Open a blank presentation again or start from one you’ve already created.
If you ‘ve already created a presentation, double-click the icon to open the existing file. otherwise, open Microsoft PowerPoint, cluck File in the top forget corner, and chink New Presentation. From there, you can follow the prompts to set up a raw presentation .
2. Choose a theme or create your own.
Microsoft offers built-in themes and tinge variations to help you design your slides with a cohesive search. To choose from these pre-built themes, choose the File check again, blue-ribbon New, choose one of the options, and chatter Create .
differently, you can use PowerPoint elements, your design sense, and your post ‘s color palette to make your own “ root. ”
3. Create a variety of slides for different purposes.
You do n’t want to present the like accurate slide, entirely with different content on it. This would bore your hearing. guarantee that you create multiple variations, accommodating some of the coarse uses for slides. At minimum, you ‘ll need :
- A title slide
- An agenda or table of contents slide
- A slide that introduces the speaker
- Various content slides (create different layouts considering what kind of multimedia you’ll use)
4. Use the Duplicate Slides feature to save you time.
There ‘s no argue to create these designs over and over again. nowadays that you have a few to draw from, you can plainly duplicate them before inputting your content. hera ‘s how to do that :
- On the left pane, right-click the thumbnail of the slide you want to duplicate.
- Choose Duplicate Slide from the pop-up menu.
This will automatically add a copy of this slide to the presentation. From there, you can customize it for your needs .
5. Add transitions to your slides (optional).
Done well, transitions can add a little bite of drift and showmanship to your presentation. PowerPoint has several transitions built in for you to choose from .
To access them, select the Transitions check from the peak decoration. From there, you can select a transition for it to preview on your blind. To customize it far, suction stop Effect Options and play with the features to find something that suits your liking. To remove a passage, choice Transitions and pawl None .
6. Add animations to your slides (optional).
Like transitions, animations can add motion, uncover information, and help you underscore the points you want to hit during your speech. To animate an element, follow these steps :
- Select the element you want animated by clicking on it.
- Choose Animations from the top ribbon.
- You’ll have the option to choose from several effects displayed in the ribbon.
- Clicking on one will give you a preview.
- To customize the animation, select Effect Options.
- To remove an animation, click None in the ribbon.
Some of the ways to customize animations include :
- On Click
- With Previous
- After Previous
These describe how you want the consequence to behave, so play around with them until you find an effect that suits your like .
You ‘ll besides have the option to move animations around as you edit your slides by clicking on the Animation Pane button, then reordering the animations in the list that pops up .
7. Save your presentation.
Click File and Save, making certain to specify which folder or address you want your PowerPoint to be stored .
8. Run your presentation.
It ‘s always good to do a trial run to ensure that your slides are set up properly and your animations fire the means you expect them to .
To present your PowerPoint, go to the Slide Show tab key and cluck Play from Start. The swoop will cover your solid screen, blocking out your background and PowerPoint software. This is so your audience ( in this case, you for the trial political campaign ) is entirely focused on the ocular elements of your presentation .
9. Advance the slides.
When you ‘re done with one slide and want to show the future in your sequence, click your shiner in presentation mode. This will advance the chute .
PowerPoint Presentation Tips
- Don’t let PowerPoint decide how you use PowerPoint.
- Create custom slide sizes.
- Edit your slide template design.
- Write text with your audience in mind.
- Make sure all of your objects are properly aligned.
- Use ‘Format Object’ to better control your objects’ designs.
- Take advantage of PowerPoint’s shapes.
- Create custom shapes.
- Crop images into custom shapes.
- Present websites within PowerPoint.
- Try Using GIFs.
- Keep it simple.
- Embed your font files.
- Save your slides as JPEGs.
- Embed multimedia.
- Bring your own hardware.
- Use ‘Presenter View.’
1. Don’t let PowerPoint decide how you use PowerPoint.
Microsoft wanted to provide PowerPoint users with a set of tools. But this does not mean you should use them all. here are some key things to look out for :
- Make sure that the preset PPT themes complement your needs before you adopt them.
- Try to get away from using Microsoft Office’s default fonts, Calibri and Cambria. Using these two typefaces can make the presentation seem underwhelming.
- Professionals should never use PPT’s action sounds. (Please consider your audience above personal preference).
- PowerPoint makes bulleting automatic, but ask yourself: Are bullets actually appropriate for what you need to do? Sometimes they are, but not always.
- Recent PPT defaults include a small shadow on all shapes. Remove this shadow if it’s not actually needed. Also, don’t leave shapes in their default blue.
2. Create custom slide sizes.
While you normally can get away with the default skid size for most presentations, you may need to adjust it for larger presentations on weirdly sized displays. If you need to do that, here ‘s how .
- In the top-left corner, choose File.
- Select Page Setup.
- Type the height and width of the background you’d like, and click OK.
- A dialogue box will appear. Click Scale if you want to also resize your content, or Don’t Scale if you don’t. We recommend clicking Don’t Scale, then manually adjusting minor layout issues.
Tip : You can avoid a concern with the last measure if you resize your slides before you add any objects to them. differently, the dimensions of your objects will become skew .
3. Edit your slide template design.
often, it ‘s much easier to edit your PowerPoint template before you start — this way, you do n’t have to design each slide by hand. here ‘s how you do that .
- Select View in the top navigation.
- Click Master.
- In the drop-down, click Slide Master.
- Make any changes you like, then click Close Master in the top ribbon. All current and future slides in that presentation will use that template.
4. Write text with your audience in mind.
A significant separate of a PowerPoint ‘s capacity is text. great copy can make or break your presentation, so evaluating your written work from a few different angles could make you seem more persuasive. Thinking about how your textbook is received differentiates thoroughly presenters from the best .
many people underestimate the influence of font, but choosing the right baptismal font is significant — the perception of your font type could influence your hearing ‘s stamp of you. The right font is an opportunity to convey consistent trade name personality and professionalism .
Some fonts are seen as clean and professional, but this does n’t mean they ‘re boring. A coarse error is thinking your baptismal font is n’t “ exciting ” adequate, which could lead you to choose a baptismal font that distracts from your overall message. We recommend sticking to simple serif and sans-serif fonts. Avoid script fonts because of potential readability issues .
That said, you can still use fun and eccentric fonts — in temperance. Offsetting a fun baptismal font or large letters with something more master can create an engage presentation .
Above all, be sure you ‘re coherent therefore your presentation looks the same throughout each slide. That way, your audience does n’t become distracted by excessively many disparate fonts. Check out this exercise from HubSpot ’ s ship’s company visibility templates :
interest in this presentation template ? Download it for release here .
5. Make sure all of your objects are properly aligned.
Having by rights aligned objects on your skid is the key to making it look polished and professional. You can manually try to line up your images … but we all know how that typically works out. You ‘re trying to make sure all of your objects hang out in the middle of your slide, but when you drag them there, it however does n’t look quite right. Get rid of your guess game and let PowerPoint work its charming with this trick .
Here’s how to align multiple objects:
- Select all objects by holding down Shift and clicking on all of them.
- Select Arrange in the top options bar, then choose Align or Distribute.
- Choose the type of alignment you’d like.
Here’s how to align objects to the slide:
- Select all objects by holding down Shift and clicking on all of them.
- Select Arrange in the top options bar, then choose Align or Distribute.
- Select Align to Slide.
- Select Arrange in the top options bar again, then choose Align or Distribute.
- Choose the type of alignment you’d like.
6. Use “Format Object” to better control your objects’ designs.
Format menus allow you to do fine adjustments that otherwise seem impossible. To do this, right-click on an object and select the Format Object choice. hera, you can fine-tune shadows, adjust shape measurements, create reflections, and much more. The menu that will pop up looks like this :
Although the independent options can be found on PowerPoint ’ s format toolbars, look for dispatch control in the format window menu. early examples of options available include :
- Adjusting text inside a shape.
- Creating a natural perspective shadow behind an object.
- Recoloring photos manually and with automatic options.
7. Take advantage of PowerPoint’s shapes.
many users don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate realize how flexible PowerPoint ’ sulfur shape tools have become. In combination with the expanded format options released by Microsoft, the likely for good design with shapes is readily available. PowerPoint provides the user with a bunch of great shape options beyond the traditional rectangle, ellipse, and rounded rectangle patterns .
today ’ second shapes include a highly functional Smart Shapes affair, which enables you to create diagrams and flow charts in no meter. These tools are particularly valuable when you consider that PowerPoint is a ocular culture medium. Paragraphing and fastball lists are boring — you can use shapes to help express your message more clearly .
8. Create custom shapes.
When you create a shape, properly chink and imperativeness Edit Points. By editing points, you can create customs shapes that fit your particular need. For case, you can reshape arrows to fit the dimensions you like .
Another option is to combine two shapes together. To do sol, select the two shapes you ’ d like to work with, then pawl Shape Format in the exceed decoration. Tap Merge Shapes .
You ’ ll see a diverseness of options .
- Combine creates a custom shape that has overlapping portions of the two previous shapes cut out.
- Union makes one completely merged shape.
- Intersect builds a shape of only the overlapping sections of the two previous shapes.
- Subtract cuts out the overlapping portion of one shape from the other.
- Fragment will split your shape into different parts depending on where they overlap.
By using these tools rather than trying to edit points precisely, you can create accurately measured custom shapes .
9. Crop images into custom shapes.
Besides creating custom shapes in your presentation, you can besides use PowerPoint to crop existing images into new shapes. here ‘s how you do that :
- Click on the image and select Picture Format in the options bar.
- Choose Crop, then Crop to Shape, and then choose your desired shape. Ta-da! Custom-shaped photos.
10. Present websites within PowerPoint.
custom says that if you want to show a web site in a PowerPoint, you should just create a associate to the page and prompt a browser to open. For personal computer users, there ’ sulfur a better option .
Third party software that integrates amply into PowerPoint ’ s developer yellow journalism can be used to embed a web site immediately into your PowerPoint using a normal HTML iframe. One of the best tools is LiveWeb, a third-party software that you can install on your PowerPoint program .
By using LiveWeb, you don ’ t have to interrupt your PowerPoint, and your presentation will remain fluid and natural. Whether you embed a whole web page or precisely a YouTube video, this can be a high-quality third party improvement. To install the addition, dim-witted capitulum to the LiveWeb web site and follow the instructions .
unfortunately, Mac users don ’ t have a like option. A adept second choice is to take screenshots of the web site, connection in through a browser, or embed media ( such as a YouTube television ) by downloading it directly to your calculator .
11. Try Using GIFs.
GIFs are looped animated images used to communicate a temper, estimate, information, and a lot more. Users add GIFs to PowerPoints to be amusing or quickly demo a process. It ‘s easy to add GIFs to your slides. To do sol, just follow these steps :
- Download and save the GIF you want.
- Go to the slide you want the GIF on.
- Go to the Home tab, and click either Insert or Picture.
- From the Picture drop-down menu, choose Picture from File.
- Navigate to where you saved your GIF and select it. Then, choose Insert.
- It will play automatically the moment you insert it.
12. Keep it simple.
PowerPoint is an excellent instrument to support your presentation with ocular information, graphics, and auxiliary points. This means that your PowerPoint should not be your entire presentation. Your slides — no matter how creative and beautiful — should n’t be the leading of the read. Keep your text and images clear and concise, using them only to supplement your message and authority .
If your slides have dense and cluttered information, it will both distract your consultation and make it a lot more likely that you will lose their attention. nothing in your slides should be otiose ! Keep your presentation persuasive by keeping it clean. There are a few ways to do this :
- Limit bullet points and text.
- Avoid paragraphs and long quotes.
- Maintain “white space” or “negative space”.
- Keep percentages, graphs, and data super basic.
13. Embed your font files.
One constant problem presenters have with PowerPoint is that fonts seem to change when presenters move from one calculator to another. In reality, the fonts are not changing — the presentation calculator fair doesn ’ t have the lapp font files installed. If you ’ re using a personal computer and presenting on a personal computer, then there is a smooth workaround for this write out .
here ’ s the whoremaster : When you save your PowerPoint file ( only on a personal computer ), you should click File, then Options, then open up the Save check. then, select the Embed fonts in the file arrest corner under Preserve fidelity when sharing this presentation. now, your presentation will keep the baptismal font file and your fonts will not change when you move computers .
The macOS PowerPoint version has a alike function. To embed your fonts on a Mac, do the following :
- Open up your presentation.
- On the top bar, click PowerPoint, then click Preferences.
- Under Output and Sharing, click Save.
- Under Font Embedding, click Embed fonts in the file.
14. Save your slides as a PDF file for backup purposes.
If you ’ re still scared of your presentation showing up differently when it ’ s time to present, you should create a PDF version just in character. This is a estimable option if you ’ ll be presenting on a different computer. If you besides run into an issue where the introduce calculator doesn ’ metric ton have PowerPoint installed, you can besides use the system spectator to open up the PDF. No laptop will ever give you perturb with this file type .
The lone caution is that your GIFs, animations, and transitions won ’ thymine transfer over. But since the PDF will only work as a accompaniment, not as your elementary copy, this should be okay .
To save your display as a PDF file, take the follow steps :
- Go to File, then click Save as …
- In the pop-up window, click File Format.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Select PDF.
- Click Export.
You can besides go to File, then Export, then blue-ribbon PDF from the file format menu .
15. Embed multimedia.
PowerPoint allows you to either liaison to video/audio files outwardly or to embed the media immediately in your presentation. You should embed these files if you can, but if you use a Mac, you can not actually embed the television ( see note below ). For PCs, two great reasons for embedding are :
- Embedding allows you to play media directly in your presentation. It will look much more professional than switching between windows.
- Embedding also means that the file stays within the PowerPoint presentation, so it should play normally without extra work (except on a Mac).
note : macOS users of PowerPoint should be extra careful about using multimedia files .
If you use PowerPoint for Mac, then you will always need to bring the television and/or audio file with you in the lapp folder as the PowerPoint presentation. It ’ randomness best to entirely insert television or sound recording files once the display and the containing folder have been saved on a portable drive in their permanent folder. besides, if the presentation will be played on a Windows computer, then Mac users need to make sure their multimedia files are in WMV format. This topple gets a bit complicate, so if you want to use PowerPoint effectively, consider using the same function system for designing and presenting, no matter what .
16. Bring your own hardware.
Between operating systems, PowerPoint is silent a bit rough. even between differing PPT versions, things can change. One way to fix these problems is to make sure that you have the right hardware — indeed precisely bring along your own laptop when you ‘re presenting .
If you ’ rhenium ace concerned about the different systems you might have to use, then upload your PowerPoint presentation into Google Slides as a backing option. Google Slides is a cloud-based presentation software that will show up the lapp way on all operate systems. The merely thing you need is an internet joining and a browser .
To import your PowerPoint presentation into Google Slides, take the pursue steps :
- Navigate to slides.google.com. Make sure you’re signed in to a Google account, preferably your own.
- Under Start a new presentation, click the empty box with a plus sign. This will open up a blank presentation.
- Go to File, then Import slides.
- A dialog box will come up. Tap Upload, then click Select a file from your device.
- Select your presentation and click Open.
- Select the slides you’d like to import. If you want to import all of them, click All in the upper right-hand corner of the dialog box.
- Click Import slides.
When I tested this out, Google Slides imported everything absolutely, including a shape whose points I had manipulated. This is a effective accompaniment option to have if you ’ ll be presenting across different operating systems .
17. Use Presenter View.
In most presentation situations, there will be both a presenter ’ s screen and the independent plan display for your presentation. PowerPoint has a bang-up cock called Presenter View, which can be found in the Slide Show tab key of PowerPoint. Included in the Presenter View is an area for notes, a timer/clock, and a display display .
For many presenters, this cock can help unify their spoken presentation and their ocular help. You never want to make the PowerPoint seem like a stack of notes that you ’ re reading off of. Use the Presenter View choice to help create a more natural presentation .
Pro Tip: At the start of the presentation, you should besides hit CTRL + H to make the cursor vanish. Hitting the “ A ” winder will bring it back if you need it !
Your Next Great PowerPoint Presentation Starts Here
With style, plan, and presentation processes under your belt, you can do a batch more with PowerPoint than just presentations for your clients. PowerPoint and like slide applications are compromising tools that should not be forgotten. With a great template, you can be on your way to creating presentations that wow your hearing .
Editor ‘s eminence : This post was originally published in September 2013 and has been updated for comprehensiveness .