In the case of ratification, you will discover the “ reaction time ” ( i.e., the distance of the response prison term ) by performing a ping test. A lower rotational latency provides a better have, as even milliseconds can matter in situations, like on-line bet on, where a fast response is essential .
If the ping fails, this can point to the indigence for far investigation to locate the rout cause. so, how does pinging a network bring ?
What is ping exactly?
Users can send a ping command through a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer. It ’ s a helpful utility that ’ randomness been around since the early 80 ’ sulfur. The terminus comes from sonar technology, which sends out a voice wave and then listens for a ping ( or echoes ) in return key. The longer the time interval, the far away an object must be.
The lapp rationale applies to networks as data requests route around the earth. Pinging can besides call out network congestion or other rotational latency problems, such as a server being down. Running a ping test is reasonably aboveboard .
How to run a ping network test
The steps to executing a pink net test depend upon the operate system you ’ re using .
For Windows 10, go to Search in the taskbar and :
- Type “cmd” to bring up the Command Prompt.
- Open the Command Prompt.
- Type “ping” in the black box and hit the space bar.
- Type the IP address you’d like to ping (e.g., 192.XXX.X.X).
- Review the ping results displayed.
For Macs, follow the same cadence by opening Network Utility and inputting the hostname or IP address you ’ d like to ping .
For Linux, open Terminal. You can besides use the traceroute instruction to review the different IP addresses your request routes through. To do this, plainly :
- Open Terminal.
- Type “traceroute” followed by the IP address or URL you wish to trace.
- Hit Enter and review the results.
What are some common addresses to ping?
When performing your ping tests, you might do thus by plainly checking your own internet connectivity. To accomplish this, you want to ensure that the IP address you ’ rhenium ping is indeed up and functioning .
While every address could experience downtime at some point, some reliable choices for you to ping include :
Read more: The Best Classic Chili – The Wholesome Dish
- 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 (OpenDNS)
- 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 (Cloudflare)
- 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 (Google DNS)
If you don ’ thyroxine receive a response when running a ping test for connectivity for these IP addresses, this likely means there is a problem on your end .
Understanding Ping results
All of those steps are well and good, but the whole procedure international relations and security network ’ t identical useful unless you can read the results. so, let ’ s dive into that .
The first thing you ’ ll see is the server ’ s host name. This will confirm you have an active voice connection to the server. Next are the number of bytes being sent to the server, which will typically show 32. The next four lines indicate the answer time from the server. You ’ ll see how many bytes of data were sent binding, vitamin a well as how many milliseconds the response took to return. TTL means “ time to live. ” This information shows you the total routers the packet will travel through before stop. If you see “ request timed out, ” it tells you that the packets couldn ’ metric ton find the host, which indicates a connection trouble .
The Ping statistics section shows the overall numbers for the summons. The packets note shows the act of packets sent and received, and tells you if any were lost. If they were, there ’ s like a joining emergence .
last, approximate round slip times show the connection amphetamine. The higher the time, the worse the connection .
Troubleshooting ping connectivity errors
When running a ping test, you might come across a few different error messages. hera are some common ones and what they might mean :
- Unknown host: If the IP address for the host you’re pinging can’t be resolved, you’ll likely get this message. Basically, it means that the nameserver of the domain isn’t recognized. Make sure you have the correct nameserver. If you do, the issue might lie with the name resolution process itself, at which point you’ll need to check on the availability status of the DNS or WINS server.
- Destination host unreachable: This could mean that either the PC doesn’t have a route to the destination you’re trying to ping, or the remote router doesn’t have a route to it. If the message only says “Destination host unreachable,” there’s no route from the PC. If it says “reply from
, the issue is with the router.
- General failure error: If you’re getting this message there may be a problem with your PC or laptop network card or your wireless adapter. Check your device driver, and make sure your device has an IP address.
- Request timed out: This message means the destination you’re attempting to ping is unreachable. If it’s definitely operational, the problem might be a firewall, or the destination might be dropping ping packets. Most of the time, this message is due to a firewall, so be sure to check your settings.
What are other uses for ping?
aside from performing the casual ping test, you can besides run ping continuously to maintain a ceaseless inflow of information. In Linux, the ping application runs until the user chooses to stop the process. To do this, hit CTRL and C simultaneously. The command is the same in Windows. And to keep ping going endlessly in that OS, type “ ping -t ” in the Command Prompt. Anything else… ? Yes, there is.
Read more: The Best Classic Chili – The Wholesome Dish
If you ’ ra looking for more arrant ping capabilities than are natively found in most operating systems, many third-party tools exist to chart and visualize your ping results. These can be helpful for creating quarterly reports for stakeholders .
Want more functionality ? PagerDuty works bridge player in hand with many popular ping monitor joyride integrations. You can centralize these tools into a single distributor point of consumption, while gaining full visibility into your network health across your environment .
Try PagerDuty and see for yourself—start your 14-day free trial today. No accredit batting order is required .