If your period is therefore heavy that you quickly soak through pads or tampons — or have to double up on different types of protection — there are things you can do to find easing. You may be able to ease your symptoms and get your motorbike back on track just by making a few tweaks to your diet. In some cases, getting adequate rest and taking over-the-counter ( OTC ) pain relievers can besides do the trick. If you don ’ metric ton detect a exchange within the future one or two cycles, make an appointment to see your doctor. You should besides see your doctor if you :
Reading: How to Stop Heavy Periods
- have quarter-sized or larger clots in your period blood
- bleed in between periods
- are very tired or short of breath
If you ’ re having atypical and heavy bleed patterns near menopause, or you have any vaginal bleeding after being told you ’ re past menopause, you should see a sophisticate for immediate evaluation.
How supplements can help
Taking extra vitamins during your period might help with bleeding. Certain nutrients — like iron, particularly — serve replenish what you lose each month. Check with your sophisticate before taking any supplement. They can determine whether you actually need to take a addendum, the appropriate acid for you, and side effects or interactions to watch for. likely supplements include :
- Vitamin C. This vitamin may help reduce bleeding. It might also help your body absorb iron, which can help prevent iron deficiency.
- Iron. There’s some evidence that suggests a lack of iron might contribute to heavy periods. If eating an iron-rich diet hasn’t improved your levels, supplementation may help.
- Blackstrap molasses. This thick, syrupy cane sugar byproduct is more than a recipe additive. It’s a good source of iron, as well as nutrients like calcium, magnesium, and selenium.
How OTC medications can help
Some OTC pain relievers can help reduce lineage loss during your periods. This includes nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ) like Advil, Motrin, or aspirin. NSAIDs don ’ thymine lighten bleeding deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as prescription drugs, but you can combine them with other medications for better relief. These drugs may besides help relieve painful cramps .
high doses or long-run use of NSAIDs can lead to undesirable side effects. You should always have your doctor of the church monitor your acid, and never take NSAIDs if you ’ rhenium allergic or have been told not to .
How prescription medication can help
If you see your doctor about your big periods, they ’ ll likely start by prescribing one of the succeed medications :
Birth control methods
Pills, patches, and rings
Birth control pills, patches, and rings are different forms of hormonal birth control. Hormonal parentage control thins the uterine line, typically resulting in less menstrual run. It may besides relieve other period symptoms, such as irritating cramps. You by and large use the pill, piece, or ring for 21 days, and then take 7 days off for menstruation. Newer parturition operate pills can provide a continuous drug of hormones throughout the month, resulting in fewer or no periods. coarse side effects of the pill and early hormonal methods include :
- sore breasts
- mood changes
- bleeding or spotting between periods
- weight gain
Birth control shot
The Depo-Provera tear is another form of hormonal birth control. alternatively of self-administering it like you would with the pill or while, your doctor will inject the medication into your arm or buttock. This medicine must be administered once every 3 months to remain effective .
Hormonal intrauterine device (IUD)
An IUD is a small device placed inside the uterus to prevent concept. Depending on the brand, a hormonal IUD — like Mirena — can be effective for 3 to 5 years. bull IUDs aren ’ metric ton recommended for this aim.
Tranexamic acid (Lysteda)
Lysteda is an antifibrinolytic pad. It reduces bleed by preventing your body from breaking down clots. You only need to take it for a few days each month, but it won ’ thyroxine prevent you from getting meaning like birth control condition drugs. side effects include muscle cramps and headaches .
Aygestin is a pill containing the hormone progestin. Women with very heavy bleeding can take a 5-milligram dose, two times a day, from day 5 to 26 of their menstrual motorbike. Its side effects are alike to that of hormonal parturition dominance methods .
Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists
These drugs are used to temporarily treat grave shed blood caused by endometriosis and uterine fibroids. They come in an injectable form and a nasal consonant spray. GnRH agonists shouldn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate be used for more than 3 to 6 months. Side effects, which may worsen over fourth dimension, include :
- hot flashes
- weakened bones
How surgery can help
operation may be an option if medicine doesn ’ t relieve your symptoms. Before recommending a specific operation, your doctor will consider :
- how severe your symptoms are
- if an underlying cause is responsible
- whether you plan to conceive
Surgeries might include :
This noninvasive discussion helps with bleeding caused by uterine fibroids. It uses ultrasound waves to shrink the fibroids .
Uterine artery embolization
This treatment is besides used for uterine fibroids. Your surgeon will insert a catheter through an artery in your second joint and thread it to the arteries in your uterus. Tiny beads will be injected into the blood vessels that feed your fibroids, causing them to shrink .
This procedure removes uterine fibroids but leaves your uterus entire. It can be done through your vagina, several little incisions in your abdomen ( laparoscopy ), or one larger cut in your abdomen. How your surgeon does the procedure depends on the size, number, and location of your fibroids .
This operation is used to remove most of your uterine trace with a laser, hotness, or radiofrequency energy. Afterward, your periods will be light to nonexistent, and you won ’ metric ton be able to get meaning .
endometrial resection is like to ablation. This procedure involves using a wire loop to remove your entire uterine line. You won ’ metric ton be able to get meaning subsequently .
This routine is used to remove your stallion uterus. It cures heavy run, but you won ’ metric ton be able to get pregnant subsequently.
Other tips and tricks
Until you find a treatment that relieves your heavy bleeding, there are a few things you can try to make your periods more bearable :
- Use a menstrual cup. This small silicone cup fits inside your vagina and catches the blood as it’s released from your uterus. It can hold much more blood than a pad or tampon, and it’s less likely to leak. And because menstrual cups are reusable, they’re better for the environment than disposable sanitary products.
- Wear period panties. These absorbent undergarments are designed to back up tampons and pads for preventing leaks. You can also wear them on their own. Manufacturers like Thinx claim that their product can absorb up to two tampons’ worth of blood without causing discomfort.
- Apply a heating pad. Although it won’t lighten your flow, a heating pad can help relieve painful menstrual cramps.
When to talk to your doctor
See your sophisticate if your menstruation is unusually heavy for more than 1 or 2 months. You may be bleeding more than common if :
- you have to double up on protection to provide adequate coverage
- you soak through one or more pads or tampons an hour
- you have to change your pad or tampon during the night
- you pass blood clots bigger than a quarter
- you’re experiencing symptoms of anemia, such as fatigue, shortness of breath, and pale skin
- your periods last for more than a week at a time
Most causes of heavy periods, like fibroids, are more uncomfortable than unplayful. But if you don ’ thymine treat the trouble and you bleed very heavily, you could develop anemia. Your doctor will work with you to create a care plan that suits your needs while relieving your symptoms. This may take a act of test and error, so be open with your doctor of the church and give it fourth dimension .