Meet the Expert
- Gretchen Friese is BosleyMD’s trichologist and stylist. She is also a hairstylist and salon director at Foushee SalonSpa in Denver.
- Dr. Stacy Chimento is a board-certified dermatologist at Riverchase Dermatology in Miami.
As it turns out, japanese court ladies—and not Cardi B ( go name ) —were the first to use rice body of water on their manes. As the narrative goes, their hair care everyday involved rinsing their suberakashi ( floor-length hair ) with water made from washing rice, which may have contributed to their stun lengths. so whether you ‘re looking to grow out your tresses, strengthen them—or both—rice water merely might be the discussion to make your haircloth dreams come dependable.
- Type of ingredient: Strengthener
- Main benefits: Strengthens hair, promotes hair growth, and increases shine.
- Who should use it: All hair types, especially those with dry, dull hair.
- How often can you use it: Once a week.
- Works well with: Depending on your hair concern, you can combine rice water with acv, baking soda, or even tea, to treat hair.
- Don’t use with: Since rice water already contains protein, avoid using with another protein treatment so as to not overdo it.
Benefits of Rice Water for Hair
Rice is one of the most popular grains eaten around the global. Fortified with vitamin bc, a B-vitamin well known for treating some forms of anemia and necessity for helping the neural tube imprint during pregnancy. So how does that translate into promoting healthier hair’s-breadth, precisely ? Well, TBH, “ The benefits of rice body of water are not in full understand, and the benefits of rice water remain unproved, ” says Chimento. however, she adds that there is growing anecdotal testify about its benefits ( although more research is needed to support it ) :
- Makes hair stronger: Just as protein is an essential part of maintaining a balanced diet, it also plays an important role in keeping hair healthy. The protein in rice water is believed to help improve the overall condition of hair (read: harder, better, faster, stronger).
- Increases shine: Based on anecdotal evidence from advocates of rice water, the starchy solution is believed to lend luster to dull locks.
- Can help hair grow: “Rice water may promote hair growth because it contains amino acids that support hair regeneration. It also contains vitamins C, B, and E, which promote hair growth as well. Vitamins C, B, and E help strengthen the hair shaft, and the stronger the shaft, the longer the hair can grow,” explains Chimento.
- Reverses hygral fatigue: Although hair needs moisture to stay healthy, excess moisture can actually do more harm than good. To rebalance overly moisturized locks (aka hygral fatigue), try a protein treatment like a rice water rinse.
- Detangles hair: Proponents of using rice water for hair claim that it can soften strands, which also makes them easier to detangle.
- Smooths hair: Damaged and/or high porosity hair has difficulty retaining moisture, which can result in frizz and split ends. However, the nourishing proteins found in rice water may counteract this, reducing breakage and therefore, improving hair’s texture.
Hair Type Considerations
If you ‘re newly to using protein or diffident if your hair’s-breadth can benefit from a protein treatment, most much, color-treated, relax, heat-styled, and natural hair’s-breadth needs a protein rise. “ Because rice water is believed to make hair shinier and stronger along with helping to keep tangles at a minimum, it can be a great rectify for fine, dull hair, ” comments Friese. And according to Chimento, “ Those with dry, brittle, curly hair may benefit because the protein in rice water improves the condition of hair’s-breadth and helps make it bouncy. Those who want to boost shine and improve and strengthen the condition of the hair’s-breadth carapace may benefit, equally good. ” While Chimento admits that rice water is safe for all hair types, she includes a caveat : “ Those with low porosity hair may want to use it in temperance because the proteins may attach to your hair rather of your hair absorbing them. ”
How to Use Rice Water for Hair
Since rice water only requires two ingredients to make, whipping it up at home—Cardi-B style—seems like a no-brainer. Friese agrees : “ My favored manner to use rice water is the antique ‘in kitchen ‘ method ( more on that below ). ” calm, she adds that you can find hair’s-breadth care products—like BosleyMD ‘s Follicle Energizer ( $ 30 ) and BosRevive Nourishing Shampoo ( $ 21 ) —that contain strengthening rice amino acids if DIY remedies are n’t your thing. Because rice water acts like a protein treatment, you ‘ll want to apply it a often as you typically use masks and treatments formulated with protein to avoid brittle, dry hair. Friese recommends replacing a unconstipated conditioner with rice water about once a week. The DIY recipe involves either boiling or soaking ; however, the latter method acting is thought to wield the most benefits .
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bowls
- 1 container with a lid
- A spray bottle
Directions for Soaking :
- Pour ½ cup of uncooked rice in a strainer
- Rinse well
- Place rice in a bowl with 2 cups of water
- Soak for up to 24 hours at room temperature
- Strain the rice water into a clean bowl
- Funnel rice into a spray bottle and refrigerate until you’re ready to use
Directions for boil :
- Pour ½ cup of uncooked rice in a strainer
- Rinse well
- Boil 2 cups of water
- Pour rice into boiling water and boil into the water is cloudy
- Let the water cool
- Funnel into a spray bottle
- Refrigerate until use (up to a week, max)
- Wash hair with shampoo and rinse
- Towel dry hair
- Pour the rice water onto the hair
- Massage into hair and scalp
- Cover with a plastic cap or bag (a shower cap works, too)
- Leave on for up to 20 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and style as desired
Leaving this treatment on for up to 20 minutes is ideal, but if your hair is crunchy post-rinse, try removing it sooner the adjacent time. Follow up with a hydrating deeply conditioner. Finding the right symmetry of hydration and potency can take some time, indeed do n’t give up if your haircloth does n’t love protein veracious out of the gate.
The Best Products With Rice Water
Formulated with rice amino acids and protein—not to mention, biotin and caffeine—this aptly-named Healthy Hair & Scalp Follicle Energizer by BosleyMD aims to stimulate hair growth and bring you thicker-looking strands. Apply just one to two drops of this leave-in treatment into your scalp. then, flex those fingers to give yourself a good ol ‘ fashioned scalp massage—or better so far, invest in a scalp massager.
Rice Water Moisturizing Milk
region of Mielle Organics rice water system collection, this moisturizing milk gets Friese ‘s seal of blessing. With ingredients like rice urine, caster oil, and coconut petroleum, it ‘s a dream for those with curly hair, strengthening and hydrating a dull, dry mane. The solution ? Bouncy curl, soft texture, and raving five-star reviews among users.
Purple Rice Water Strength & Color Care Shampoo
You ‘ve heard of purple shampoo but what about purple rice water shampoo ? Ideal for color-treated tresses, Friese recommends this cleansing agent with its blend of butter, oils, and let ‘s not forget, rice water system to strengthen and nutrify hair. And thanks to its godforsaken orchid and sweet violet extract, it smells like spring in a bottle.
BosRevive Non Color-Treated Hair Nourishing Shampoo
You ‘ve heard it before and you ‘ll hear it again : Healthy hair begins with a healthy scalp. Formulated with rice amino acids and a host of early nourishing ingredients— saw palmetto, rosemary excerpt, and panthenol, to name a few—this sulfate-free shampoo is like fertilizer for the scalp. And while it ‘s meant for hair color virgins, BosleyMD makes a translation for biased tresses, excessively .
Clarify Your Mane™ Clarifying Shampoo
Is dirt, grease, or product buildup weighing you—and your hair—down ? then consider a clarifying shampoo. Friese namedrops this deep-cleaning ‘poo featuring fermented rice water system and tea corner oil, which works to bring you a healthy and happy scalp and hair. ( note : This product is presently sold out but there is a full restock coming soon ).
Are there any side effects to using rice water for hair?
“ Those who have used rice water claim side effects may include protein overload, making a dry scalp bad, and breakage, ” Chimento tells us .
Can rice water make my hair smell bad?
Rice water that is soaked or boiled and refrigerated before use ( up to 24 hours and a week, respectively ) should not make your hair’s-breadth smell. however, fermented rice water may leave a hover smack so we suggest combining it with an essential petroleum like lavender or red gum .
How do I know if my hair will benefit from using rice water?
In general, all hair’s-breadth types, particularly those in need of protein can benefit from rice water. FYI : If you gently stretch a chain of hair and then release it, healthy hair should bounce back to its original length. On the other hand, if hair stretches and breaks, it may lack protein .