Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for late
0 When a P.F. Chang ’ south opened in my hometown of Wichita, Kansas, it was A Big Deal .
The two-hour expect lasted for months, and when my syndicate finally scored a table, our waiter insisted that we arrange the boodle wraps appetizer. She was so right .
nowadays ’ mho boodle wraps recipe is a copycat version of the celebrated P.F. Chang ’ s original with a healthy device .
overindulgence amounts of carbohydrate are why lettuce wraps are high in carbs at restaurants. thus, to ensure this recipe was healthier than other lettuce wraps recipes ( including P.F. Chang ’ second ), I skipped the add boodle all in all .
This recipe features a richly-flavored sauce that rivals the original, crunch, and a touch of spice .
It ’ sulfur easy, alimentary, and sol much of a dead ringer for the real number hand that this has become one of my most popular recipes !
bonus : this healthy lettuce wraps recipe is ready in 25 minutes. so retentive, two-hour expect !
5 Star Review
“ Wow ! ! ! This recipe was fantastic ! You did not overpromise, this was better than the real thing ! It was a achiever for the entire family. ”
— Jessica —
How to Make Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps
These vegetarian lettuce wraps are made with bean curd and mushrooms, two ingredients that much unnerve more hesitant eaters .
As those who have tried these easy boodle wraps can attest, however, you barely notice them !
Both ingredients are finely diced, and by the time the bean curd and mushrooms have simmered in that signature, addictive P.F. Chang ’ s sauce, all you ’ ll taste is the flavors of the original .
If you ’ re hush REALLY uncertain about going meat-free, check out my asian Lettuce Wraps made with background chicken ( you can besides swap grind gripe, footing turkey, or land pork ). For a peanut spin, make chicken lettuce wraps with this Thai Asian Chicken Wraps recipe .
- Tofu. Once crumbled and coated in the sauce, even the most diligent of tofu skeptics will enjoy this dish. Tofu is rich in protein and low in calories, making these lettuce wraps healthy (especially when compared to restaurant versions).
For those with a soy allergy or austere dislike of bean curd, you could try making vegetarian lettuce wraps without bean curd using one of the follow options :
- Omit the tofu completely, creating a solely vegetarian lettuce wraps mushroom filling.
- For an option with extra protein and added texture, you could try making vegetarian lettuce wraps with beans and mushrooms instead. Use rinsed and drained canned chickpeas.
- Hoisin. Similar to an Asian barbecue sauce, it’s sticky, sweet, and incredibly delicious. It’s the sauce’s foundation.
- Soy Sauce. Since this is an Asian lettuce wraps recipe, we can’t skip the soy sauce. It adds mouth-watering umami goodness to the sauce.
- Rice Wine Vinegar. Adds a touch of light, sweet acidity.
- Sesame Oil. Lightly nutty and wonderful in Asian recipes like this one.
- Mushrooms. After being finely chopped and coated in the sauce, the mushrooms are barely noticeable in this dish. They do, however, give the filling a great depth of flavor.
- Water Chestnuts. For a satisfying crunch.
- Red Pepper Flakes. Adds heat without making the dish overly spicy. If you enjoy the spice, you can add more to taste or top the wraps with sriracha.
- Lettuce Leaves. What kind of lettuce is used for lettuce wraps? While I think the best lettuce for lettuce wraps is Boston lettuce (or Bibb or butter lettuce), romaine lettuce would also work well. Iceberg lettuce can be used in a pinch.
- Stir the sauce ingredients together.
- Press the tofu, squeezing out the liquid. Crumble the tofu into a large skillet with oil over medium high heat. Cook for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms. Add the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and part of the green onions.
- Pour in the sauce, stirring to coat. Cook for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Serve the tofu mixture in lettuce leaves. Top with green onions and ENJOY!
While this recipe is gluten free as written, you ’ ll want to make sure your hoisin and soy sauce are gluten spare, or substitute tamari alternatively .
- To Store. The tofu filling can be refrigerated for 3 to 5 days. Store lettuce leaves separately in the refrigerator.
- To Freeze. You can freeze lettuce wraps filling for up to 2 months (do not freeze the lettuce leaves).
- To Reheat. Reheat gently in the microwave with a bit of water or stock to prevent it from drying out or in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat.
I like to mix the leftover filling with brown rice or rice noodles, or scramble it with eggs for quick, healthy lunches throughout the workweek. vegetarian lettuce wraps with quinoa are besides a delightful way to bulk up leftovers .
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Non-Stick Skillet. A seasoned cast iron skillet works well also.
- Spatula. This heat-resistant spatula is perfect for preparing the filling.
- Measuring Spoons. These spoons are double-sided, meaning you’ll have fewer dishes to wash.
Oven-Safe Non-Stick Skillet
A non-stick frying pan is an invaluable and versatile kitchen tool. It makes cleaning a breeze !
Get on AMazon
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you thought ! Leave a evaluation below in the comments and let me know how you liked the recipe .Leave a Rating P.F. Chang ’ randomness does still have vegetarian lettuce wraps on its menu, but I ’ vitamin d rather make this recipe any day. I know you will love it excessively !
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Keep Lettuce Wraps from Falling Apart? Crisp lettuce leaves are the best way to keep them from falling apart. If you have limp, thinly lettuce leaves, they ’ rhenium much more likely to break under the weight of the fill. It ’ south besides important to not overstuff your lettuce leaves. If you pile besides much filling into a leaf, it can easily tear as you try to wrap it up. Can I Make Lettuce Wraps from Other Recipes? If this recipe has inspired you to wrap early dishes in lettuce leaves, you ’ ra not alone ! For vegetarian boodle wraps indian style, try piling this Tofu Curry into lettuce leaves. For Thai lettuce wraps vegetarian style, try this Chickpea Curry. Can I Use Tempeh instead of Tofu? While I haven ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate made this recipe using tempeh, I think it would turn out well. It is slightly more dense than bean curd, which may give the fill up more texture.
Vegetarian lettuce wraps with tofu and mushrooms that taste just like the famous P.F. Chang’s lettuce wraps. All the flavor for a fraction of the calories!
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons canola oil vegetable oil or grapeseed vegetable oil
- 1 packages ( 12 to 14 ounces ) extra-firm bean curd do not use satiny
- 8 ounces baby bella cremini mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 can ( 8 ounces ) water chestnuts drained and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons newly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes exclude if sensible to spice
- 4 green onions thinly sliced, divided
- 8 big inner leaves romaine lettuce from a cos heart or butter lettuce leaves
- Optional for serving : grated carrots extra loss pepper flakes
In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
Press the tofu between paper towels to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Refresh the paper towels and press again. Heat the 2 teaspoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Once the oil is hot, crumble in the tofu, breaking it into very small pieces as it cooks. Continue cooking for 5 minutes, then add the diced mushrooms. Continue cooking until any remaining tofu liquid cooks off and the tofu starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes more. Stir in the water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, and half of the green onions and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
Pour the sauce over the top of the tofu mixture and stir to coat. Cook just until you hear bubbling and the sauce is warmed through, 30 to 60 seconds.
Spoon the tofu mixture into individual lettuce leaves. Top with remaining green onions, grated carrots, and additional red pepper flakes as desired. Enjoy immediately.
- TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE: Use a gluten free hoisin sauce and gluten free soy sauce, or substitute tamari instead.
- TO STORE: The bean curd filling can be refrigerated for 3 to 5 days. Store lettuce leaves separately in the refrigerator.
- TO REHEAT: Reheat gently in the microwave with a bit of water or stock to prevent it from drying out or in a skillet over medium heat. Try the leftovers mixed with rice or scrambled with eggs
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an score to well save your darling projects and tutorials .Register