Making homemade empanada dough is not angstrom hard as you might think, specially if you have a food processor. And even if you don ’ t have one, it is still pretty easy to make by handwriting because the boodle doesn ’ t need be overworked, and requires minimal kneading. Empanadas, besides known as turnovers or handwriting pies, are one of my favorite foods. They ’ re so versatile and can be made with an infinite issue of delightful fillings – you can be angstrom creative as you want with empanada fillings. Empanadas are besides the perfect room to use leftovers, particularly when a ) you don ’ thymine enough for a full meal of leftovers and boron ) you want something different .
How to make empanada dough for baking
Easy recipe with bit-by-bit photos for homemade empanada boodle .
-15 medium size or 20-25 small empanada discs
- 3 cups general-purpose flour
- ¼ to 1/2
Read more: The Best Classic Chili – The Wholesome Dish
- 6 oz unsalted butter ( 1 stick of butter = 4 oz )
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water or milk adjust american samoa needed to obtain a piano and legato boodle
Making homemade empanada dough:
- Mix the flour and salt in a food processor .
- Add the butter and pulse
- Add the testis and the water system or milk ( in little increments ) and continue pulsing until a clumpy boodle forms .
- To make the empanada boodle by hand, follow the lapp education but use your hands to mix the ingredients together .
- Split the dough into 2 large ball, flatten slightly into the form of disks. The boodle can be used immediately or refrigerated until ready to use ( 1-2 days soap ) .
- roll out the dough into a slender plane and cut out round disk shapes for empanadas ( use rung molds or a small home plate ). You can besides make small individual balls with the dough and roll out each individual ball to a round form ( does n’t need to be absolutely round ) – if you have a tortilla bid you can use it to flatten the boodle balls .
- Use immediately, or store in the refrigerator/freezer to use late .
Assembling and baking the empanadas:
- To assemble the empanadas or turnovers, space a spoon of the filling on the middle of each empanada disk. The amount of filling will vary based on the size of the empanada, but in general, it ’ south easier to seal an empanada that isn ’ thymine overstuffed. besides, the more you make empanadas, the easier it becomes to stuff them to the soap and hush seal them properly .
- To seal the empanadas, fold the disk and seal the edges by pressing the dough with your fingers. If you ’ re having a hard time sealing the edges, you can use brush the inside edges with egg white, it will act as a glue for the empanadas. You can besides use a pitchfork to help seal the edges, fair press the top of the branching against the edges. To the repulgue or churito, the lock character navy seal, use your fingers to twist the curl the edges. There are besides empanada molds that you can buy and will help seal the empanadas .
- For best results, I recommend refrigerating for at least 30 minutes the empanadas before baking – this besides helps them seal better and prevents the fill from leaking out .
- If you want your empanadas to have a nice gold coating, then you can brush them with egg wash ( a hale testis whisked or egg yolk plus a few drops of water whisked ) .
- Bake the empanadas in a pre-heated oven. I normally bake them at 375F-400F, the temperature will vary based on the oven and the size of the empanadas. I bake the smaller size empanadas at 375F. The bake time besides varies ( again based on the oven and size ), but it ’ mho in the range of 18-25 minutes – the empanadas will be cook once they are golden .
Other empanada dough recipes:
How to make empanada dough for frying
Recipe for fresh empanada dough ( for dessert empanadas )
If you want more empanada recipes, you can besides check out my All about Empanadas : The Empanada 101 Guide
These days it is very easy to find the empanada magnetic disk already made ( freeze ) in Latin grocery store stores, and even though I was doubting at first, they are actually quite good. however, homemade always preference better and fresh. Another benefit of making homemade empanada dough for bake is that you can customize the boodle by adding spices or herb that will add season and complement or contrast with the fillings. You can besides make a bombastic batch of homemade empanada dough, roll it out and cut it into disk, then freeze the magnetic disk ( separate with wax wallpaper ) for later use .
Step by step photos of how to make homemade empanada dough:
Some empanada fill recipes :
swiss chard, beet and capricorn cheese empanadas
mushroom and cheese empanadas