How to create a PNG file in Adobe Photoshop
by Benjamin Martorell on Apr 18, 2022
What is a PNG file?
Are you confused by what a PNG file in Adobe Photoshop is ? If so, that is perfectly apprehensible because there are many visualize file formats available to photographers. The most common ones include Jpeg, GIF, TIFF, and of course, PNG. What makes things even more catchy is that each has a specific determination. In this article, we will look at the PNG format. You will learn about what a PNG file is, what it ’ south for, and how to make one. PNG, which is pronounced like “ ping ” and its file name is .png, stands for Portable Network Graphics. It is a type of prototype format that web designers use to create websites because it supports crystalline backgrounds and/or semi-transparent images ( it is, in fact, the entirely type of picture format that supports transparency ).
This capability makes PNG great for logo and moral force web site graphics. sol if you want a fantastic-looking web site that your visitors will love, you should decidedly use PNG-formatted images. Odds are you have seen PNG images ahead, such as when a diaphanous logo is located on a photographer ’ randomness picture, allowing you to see the photograph through the logo. In this font, the aim of foil is to subtly promote the photographer who took the word picture ( and to prevent person else from using it ). A datum reduction proficiency called lossless compression creates PNG files. This means that when person chooses to compress an effigy, none of the data within it is lost. In other words, the PNG file remains identical to the original visualize file. This is different from lossy compression, which loses data when it compresses a file prototype. Another advantage of PNG is that it supports grayscale and PNG-8, PNG-24, and PNG 32 coloring material spaces, giving it the ability to display a wide range of colors. however, this does mean that PNG files can be big, which is why pictures are normally in the Jpeg format ( Jpeg files are lossy, meaning that each clock they are decompressed, data is deleted ). Another asset of the PNG format is that it ’ s patent-free, which means anyone can use it without a license .
Which programs open PNG files?
plenty of programs open PNG files. These include default option photograph spectator programs, photograph editing programs such as Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, and world wide web browsers. In any of these programs, you can view a PNG file by selecting ‘ afford ’ from the drop-down menu or merely scuff and drop it into the program or a web browser. If you don ’ metric ton already have Photoshop and Lightroom, you can get them through Adobe ’ s Creative Cloud Plan for lone $ 9.99/month. Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom and some of the most popular tools used by photographers, graphic designers and web developers because of their capabilities.
Easiest Ways for How To Create a PNG file in Adobe Photoshop
How to Create a PNG file in Adobe Photoshop is a elementary process. Depending on what you want to accomplish with an visualize or graphic, there can be just a few steps or several .
Steps to creating a PNG file in Photoshop:
1. The easiest way is to simply ‘Save As’
- Click File on the top menu, then select Open
- Choose the image file and click Open
- Click File from the top menu, then select Save As
- In the dialog box, select PNG from the Format menu
- Click Save
While this is a quick way to create a PNG file, it does not alter the persona in any way, such as making it guileless or removing the background to isolate the subject ( sulfur ). These are the most common actions for PNG files. Follow the steps below to learn how to do both .
2. Make a transparent Photoshop image
- Open the file by repeating the steps outlined in number 1.
- Open the layers panel if it’s not already visible on the right. To do that, click Window, then select Layers.
- Click the Background layer in the Layers panel and then click OK in the dialog box that appears. This unlocks the layer, allowing you to change it.
- Click the Opacity drop-down menu in the Layers panel and choose a percentage lower than 100%. The lower you go, the more transparent the image will be.
- Click File on the top menu and choose Save As and select PNG from the drop-down menu. You now have a transparent Photoshop image.
3. Remove the background to isolate the subject
- Open the file by repeating the steps outlined in number 1.
- Add a transparency layer: On the top menu, click Layer, then select New. You will now see a new blank layer in the Layers panel that looks like a grey and white checkerboard. Photoshop automatically sets it to transparent.
- Drag the new layer under the Background image layer in the layers panel.
- Click the new layer to select it.
Tip : alternatively of making a new layer, you can besides click the little lock icon to unlock the Background layer. Whatever you delete from the image will become diaphanous .
- Select the subject: On the toolbar on the left side, select the Magic Wand Tool.
- Click Select Subject at the top of the window. Photoshop automatically selects what it thinks the subject(s) is. You will see ‘marching ants’ surrounding selection indicating.
- Delete the background: Click Select from the top menu, then choose Inverse. This selects the area of the image you want to remove around the subject.
- Press Delete on your keyboard. The grey and white checkerboard pattern of the transparent background is now visible.
- Press Command (Control on PCs) + D to remove the marching ants.
Tip : You may find that the choice misses some areas. For example, it may think shadows are the edges of the subjugate. To fix this, suction stop on the
“ Subtract from choice ” icon at the top of the window, then use the magic trick scepter creature to remove more of the unwanted areas .
The Benefits and Drawbacks of PNG Files
You read at the begin of this article what a PNG charge is and what it ’ s used for. You besides learned about some of its benefits, including lossless compression ( no data is lost and double quality remains the same ) and that it supports PNG-8 ( 256 colors ), PNG-24 ( over 16 million colors ), and PNG-32 ( PNG 24 + 8 for guileless backgrounds ) semblance spaces. other advantages include the wide range of foil from invisible ( 0 % ) to fully visible ( 100 % ), you can add metadata, and you can make PNG files with multiple layers. besides, PNG files are capable of being compressed 10-30 % more than GIF files. The PNG format does have a few disadvantages. Unlike GIF, which stands for Graphics Interchange Format, PNG does not support animation. besides, as indicated above, PNG file sizes are typically larger than Jpeg files. This could be a problem if you don ’ t have a distribute of storage space. thankfully, these issues are by and large not a problem for most people since PNG files are largely designed for websites. indeed that ’ s it ! You should be well on your way to creating PNG files in Photoshop using the information you learned in this tutorial. pretty soon you will be able to make a logo that you can put on your pictures or make an attractive web site.
If you found this tutorial helpful, you besides may be concern in checking out these articles : If you found this article helpful, please follow us on Twitter and Facebook to read more of our free WordPress tutorials and other resources.
Using WordPress and want to get Envira Gallery free?
Envira Gallery helps photographers create beautiful photograph and video galleries in equitable a few clicks sol that they can showcase and sell their make.