How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship | USAGov

foreswear or Lose Your U.S. citizenship How to Enter the U.S. How to Apply for U.S. citizenship park Cards and Permanent Residence in the U.S.

How to Apply for U.S. Citizenship

Learn the steps for becoming a U.S. citizen including how to apply, sample test questions and what is the naturalization process. besides, find information on double citizenship, how to get proof of your U.S. citizenship if you were born afield or replace your bemused or stolen citizenship certificate .

Dual Citizenship or Nationality

double citizenship ( or dual nationality ) means a person may be a citizen of the United States and another nation at the same time. U.S. law does not require a person to choose one citizenship or another. If you ‘re a citizen of another country, reach that country’s embassy or consulate for information about its :

  • Laws
  • Policies
  • mandatary military service

For information on double nationality from the luff of watch of another nation, contact that country’s embassy or consulate. If you have double citizenship and design to travel to or from the United States, you must use a U.S. pass to enter and leave the United States.

information about giving up or losing your U.S. citizenship is besides available. A accredited lawyer skilled in citizenship matters can assist you with questions about your situation. A local bar association can much provide a good referral .

Establish Citizenship Without a Birth Certificate

If you were born in the U.S. and there is no give birth security on charge, you will need several different documents to prove your citizenship :

  • A letter from the vital records office in your birth state with your name and what years they searched for your birth certificate.
  • A Letter of No Record from the vital records office. You will also need secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship to prove your birth in the United States.

If you were born outside the United States and your U.S. parent ( s ) did not register your birth at the U.S. Embassy or consulate, you may apply for a U.S. pass, but you will need :

  • Your foreign birth record showing your parents’ names
  • Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship
  • Your parents’ marriage certificate

If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent ( s ) registered your give birth with a U.S. Embassy, the U.S. Department of State ( DOS ) will be able to help you get a copy of a consular Report of Birth Abroad ( Form FS-240 ) .

U.S. Citizenship for People Born Abroad or in U.S. Territories

You are a U.S. citizen if :

  • You have a birth certificate issued by a U.S. state. 
  • You were born in a U.S. territory and have a birth certificate issued by that territory. If you don’t have a birth certificate from your birth territory, you may be able to verify your citizenship status using other documents.
  • You were born outside of the U.S. to at least one U.S. citizen parent, and your parent(s) recorded your birth with the U.S. Embassy or consulate in that country.
    • If your birth was recorded before your 18th birthday, the Embassy or consulate issued your parent(s) a document that is proof of your U.S. citizenship. This document is known as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA or Form FS-240). Learn how to request copies, amendments, or corrections to a Consular Report of Birth Abroad from the U.S. Department of State (DOS).
    • If the Embassy or consulate did not issue a CRBA and you are 18 years of age or older, learn how to get a Certificate of Citizenship. This document proves your U.S. citizenship and can be obtained from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Learn more about births of U.S. citizens overseas .
share This page :




Do you have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related doubt for free. They ‘ll get you the answer or let you know where to find it .

  • Talk to a live agent
  • Web Chat with a live agent

last Updated : May 3, 2022

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.