Social Security Numbers and Immigrant Visas

We are please you intend to immigrate to the United States. Upon admission to the United States based on your immigrant visa, you will be a U.S. permanent wave resident. Each permanent wave nonmigratory needs a Social Security Number ( SSN ). An SSN will help you to work in the United States, to conduct business with a depository financial institution or fiscal institution, to pay your taxes or to be listed as a pendent on a tax return, and for other purposes .

If You Requested an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa

If you requested an SSN card as separate of your visa application, U.S. Department of State ( DoS ), Form DS 230, “ Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration ” or the electronic Form DS 260, “ Immigrant Visa Electronic Application ”, DoS and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security will parcel with us the information needed to issue you an SSN wag. consequently, you do not need to fill out a special lotion or go to a Social Security position to get an SSN .
We will assign you an SSN and issue you a Social Security menu after you arrive in the United States. If you already have an SSN, we will issue you a refilling SSN card. We will mail your SSN card to the U.S. mailing address where the Department of Homeland Security will send your Permanent Resident Card. You should receive your Social Security wag within 3 weeks after you arrive .
IMPORTANT: Call us if you do not receive your Social Security card after 3 weeks or if you change your mailing address after arrival in the United States. If you call us, please have this letter with you. It will help us answer your questions.

If You Did Not Request an SSN When You Applied for Your Visa

You must come to a Social Security function to apply for an SSN if you did not request an SSN card as part of your visa application. When you have a permanent address, please contact us to find out where to apply for an SSN calling card .
When you visit a Social Security agency to apply for a Social Security poster, take the following papers with you :

  • Your passport with your Machine-Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) or Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) if you have it; and,
  • your birth certificate and a birth certificate for each member of your family applying for a Social Security number.

If you are applying for a substitute card you will only need your recommendation with your MRIV or Permanent Resident Card ( Form I-551 ), if you have received it.

A Social Security representative will help you complete the application. You should receive your SSN tease within 2 weeks after we have everything we need to process your application. If we need to verify any document you show us, it may take longer .

Additional Information

The data you give us for getting an SSN is confidential. This means that we do not share your information except angstrom provided for under the law. For example, we may share data with other politics agencies as permitted under the Privacy Act. For more information about this, please contact us .
In the United States, you may call the telephone number listed for the Social Security office in the local telephone directory under “ United States Government ” or Social Security ‘s toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. You can besides find the nearest Social Security office on the Internet at If you need to contact us before you leave for the United States, contact or visit your nearest union Benefits Unit. Visit to locate the Federal Benefits Unit near you .

reference :
Category : How To

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.