so, how do you know if your vaginal ph is besides alkaline ? here are some ways to tell : The vagina ’ mho acidic environment is a natural defense mechanism against bacterial growth. If your vaginal ph becomes besides alkaline, there ’ s an increased gamble for bacterial overgrowth. The ph scale ranges from 0 to 14. A ph of less than 7 is considered acidic, while a ph over 7 is considered alkaline ( basic ). A “ convention ” vaginal ph is reasonably acidic, hovering between a ph of 3.8 and 4.5. If you suspect that your vaginal ph is out of poise or you have mild symptoms, there are steps you can take to help restore this balance naturally. If your symptoms are more severe or they don ’ t go away with natural remedies, it ’ s significant to follow up with your doctor of the church .
1. Consider using boric acid suppositories
Boric acidic is low-cost, easy to access, and has been used to treat BV for over 100 years. silent, more research needs to be done to clinically prove its efficiency in treating BV. If your symptoms are meek, you may want to consider using boric acid suppositories before opting for antibiotics. You can buy boric acid suppositories at your local pharmacy or on-line .
2. Incorporate more probiotics into your diet
The “ good ” bacteria, known as lactobacillus, are abundant in a healthy vagina. In accession to fighting off infection, these bacteria help to keep your vaginal ph balanced. Lactobacilli can be found in probiotic supplements and is naturally occurring in a number of sour foods. Lactobacilli can be taken in several ways :
- orally, as a probiotic supplement
- in probiotic foods like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, or sauerkraut
Although consuming more probiotics and fermented foods may help increase the lactobacillus in your vaginal microbiota, it doesn ’ metric ton wholly inhibit the growth of bad bacteria. You can purchase probiotic supplements that are geared toward vaginal health at your local pharmacy or on-line .
3. Consider taking garlic tablets
Garlic is packed with antioxidants ampere well as the bacteria-fighting compound allicin. According to a 2014 study conducted on 120 women, garlic tablets may be ampere effective as oral antibiotics at treating the symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection or BV, with fewer side effects. The participants in the learn took 500 milligram garlic tablets doubly a day, 12 hours apart, for 7 consecutive days. It should be noted, however, that garlic can have digestive side effects. People with run concerns and people on lineage thinners shouldn ’ t take garlic at these doses.
You can buy garlic tablets at your local anesthetic drugstore and on-line .
4. Find ways to destress
stress can affect all facets of the homo body, including the health of your vagina. In fact, a study from 2018 highlighted the connection between spikes in hydrocortisone ( the try hormone ) and BV. Although stress is ineluctable, there are healthy ways to manage it and to prevent your stress hormones from negatively affecting your health, including your vaginal ph. Consider the following de-emphasize activities :
- Exercising. Physical activity can increase your brain’s production of endorphins, the “feel-good” neurotransmitters. Some types of activities, like yoga and tai chi, can be especially helpful for reducing stress.
- Deep breathing. Find a quiet place to breathe deeply and slowly through your nose and out through your mouth for 5 minutes. Deep breathing can help oxygenate your blood, clear your mind, and center your body.
- Focusing on a favorite activity. Instead of focusing on whatever is worrying you, try doing a puzzle, playing a game, watching a show that makes you laugh, or spending time on a favorite hobby.
- Listening to or playing music. Relax to the sound of your favorite music or spend time playing a musical instrument.
5. Cut back or quit smoking
According to research, people who smoke may be more probably to develop BV. In studies from 2014 and 2018, nonsmokers were found to have a larger proportion of lactobacillus in their vaginal microbiota than smokers. Lactobacillus is critical to maintaining the health of the vagina. If you smoke and you ’ ra looking for support as you cut back or depart smoking, there are several medications and alternative therapies that may help. You can besides talk to your sophisticate about setting up a cessation plan that works for you .
6. Be mindful of how you clean your vulva and vagina
even though the vagina is self-cleaning, it can be tempting to reach for fragrant clean products when you have symptoms of BV or a yeast infection. research has shown that douche is powerfully linked to BV. Besides avoiding douche, it ’ south besides good to avoid fragrant vaginal washes and odoriferous tampons or sanitary pads. These products can all disrupt your vaginal ph libra. To clean your vulva and vagina, fair rinse the area lightly with warm water system. If you distillery want to clean your vulva with soap, consider using these fragrance-free washes .
7. Pay attention to your underwear
Your underwear can affect the health of your vagina in several ways. To keep your nether regions healthy and your vaginal ph balanced, consider :
- wearing underwear that’s made from natural, breathable, absorbent fabrics, like cotton
- washing your underwear with a hypoallergenic detergent
- going pantie-free at night to prevent moisture buildup
- changing your underwear during the day if you have a lot of moisture buildup or irritation
8. Use barrier methods during sex
According to a 2011 study, an increased exposure to semen, which has an alkalizing effect on the vagina, may increase your risk for BV. Using a condom during sex may help lessen semen ’ sulfur effect on vaginal flora. similarly, using dental dams and finger cots during sex may help prevent extra bacteria from being introduced to the vagina. These barrier methods can be purchased at your local pharmacy or on-line.
Read more: How To Do a Smokey Eye