We ’ re taking this myth question on today, and bringing to your attention the mind of shaving your—wait for it—face, as an anti-aging proficiency. In fact, Google has released their “ Year in Search ” trending data for 2020 and this specific how-to made the list. so, if you ‘re looking for solutions on how to efficaciously dermaplane at home, we ‘ve got all the answers ( and products to make the process easier ). Before you throw your razors at us and call us crazy, hear us out, or rather, allow esthetician Kerry Benjamin and board-certified dermatologist Audrey Kunin to explain precisely how to shave your face .
Meet the Expert
- Kerry Benjamin is a Los Angeles-based esthetician and founder of vegan skincare line, StackedSkincare.
- Audrey Kunin is a board-certified dermatologist and founder of skincare line Dermadoctor.
Read on to learn how dermaplaning at home can leader to smoother, younger-looking skin.
What is Dermaplaning ?
Dermaplaning is a skin care treatment that involves using a small exfoliate scalpel to remove the topmost layer of skin, which typically harbors dirt, vegetable oil, dead hide cells, and yellowish pink fuzz. “ Most people are dermaplaning candidates, ” notes Kunin. “ If you have sensitive skin, acne, active eczema, or other rashes, dermaplaning is not advised. ” That said, dermaplaning is an effective way to both remove facial hair and exfoliate—think of it as a buzzier term for shaving your face. As such, it can be done in a salon by an esthetician or at home. “ Dermaplaning is like to shave, however the joyride is better suited to exfoliate the epidermis than a razor, ” says Kunin .
There ‘s no indigence to get shave-happy—you actually only need to be shaving your side or dermaplaning about doubly a month to see results.
What Are the Benefits of Dermaplaning ?
Both experts list a few benefits of shaving your face ( or, at-home dermaplaning ) .
- Exfoliation: “Shaving your face can have somewhat similar results to a professional dermaplane procedure,” Benjamin says. “Dermaplaning provides a deeper exfoliation than shaving at home, but they both remove the dead outer skin and vellus hairs.”
- Glowing, brighter complexion: Because dermaplaning removes a layer of dead skin that would otherwise give a dull appearance, skin is left looking radiant and refreshed post-shaving.
- Deeper product penetration: Facial hair can often trap dirt and oil that creates a barrier between your skin and the products you put on top. Getting rid of that layer may allow for your skincare products to penetrate deeper, thus being more effective. “Having a fresh, clean face will help [serums] penetrate more deeply.”
- Smoother makeup application: Kunin notes that because dermaplaning removes facial hair and peach fuzz, skin is smoother and pores appear smaller. This creates the ideal base for even makeup application where powder and liquid products can sit on top flawlessly.
Is Dermaplaning Safe ?
now it ’ sulfur time to address the ( hairy ) elephant in the room : Won ’ t shaving your face leave you with blockheaded, coarser hair’s-breadth than ahead ? Both experts are adamant about the fact your haircloth won ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate mature back slurred. “ While I understand that this sounds controversial, shaving your hair does not make it grow second blockheaded or benighted, ” Benjamin says. “ You aren ’ thyroxine changing the structure of the follicle. ” She says that your actual hair follicle sits trench under the skin—when you shave, you ’ re cutting the hair off at the root, which might be thicker than the ends. You aren ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate messing with the follicle itself, which means your hair will grow at the lapp rate, width, and texture as earlier. Kunin agrees, adding, “ It is a myth that shaving causes hair to grow back thick and benighted, so as with shave, dermaplaning does not cause a textural deepen to hair regrowth. ”
That said, anytime you nick the skin, child hide infections and aggravation are possible. “ If red, discomfort, pustules, or golden crust are seen, it is prison term to call a dermatologist, ” says Kunin .
How to Dermaplane at Home
Benjamin says you have three options when it comes to razors : 1 ) a normal women ’ second razor you ‘d use on your legs ( just make certain it ’ s not actually the one you use on your legs ), 2 ) a women ’ randomness facial hair tailored, or 3 ) an eyebrow maker .
- Make sure skin is clean and very dry. The drier the skin, the better the results.
- Pull the skin taught and always move downwards in short strokes with the razor at a 45-degree angle against the skin.
- Starting at the top of the ear, make small strokes downward, moving down to the jawline and in towards the nose to get the whole cheek, jawline, chin, and upper lip.
- Then, move to the sides of the face by the eyes, followed by the forehead, using downward strokes. Avoid the hairline, eyelids, and sides of nose.
- Lastly, stroke the neck downward from the jawline.
Benjamin cautions that very little pressure is needed—after all, you ’ re just exfoliating the dead out layer of skin and removing the fine hair.
therefore your grimace is ( lightly ) shaved and soft as a baby ’ south bottom, but your solve international relations and security network ’ triiodothyronine done quite yet. “ After shaving, immediately follow up with a hydrating serum or any other serum you use in your normal skin care regimen, ” Benjamin says .
To lock in the serum, Kunin recommends applying a moisturizer. This has the add benefit of providing much-needed hydration to freshly-exfoliated skin .
Benjamin and Kunin agree that SPF should be applied as a post-care gradation. Benjamin recommends choosing an sun protection factor of at least 30 .
Anthelios 100 Melt-In Milk
Exfoliating addict ? Try this : “ If you want to get a short more aggressive with this at-home treatment, after shaving, you can applying a light AHA or enzyme peel for deeper scale, then follow with serum and moisturizer, ” Benjamin says, with one caveat. “ I ’ five hundred wait to do this until after you ’ ve shaved your face respective times and your hide has adjusted. ”
Pumpkin Powerhouse Resurfacing & Exfoliating Enzyme Mask
Shop At-Home Shavers
According to Kunin, dermaplaning tools for at-home use are typically goofproof and created with angle blades that are accurately positioned for safe, best results. Shop our favorites below .
Pivoting Facial Trimmer
Facial Touch-up Razor Pack
Dual Blade Precision Trimmer
Precision Perfect Compact Precision Trimmer