What ’ s not to love about a pizza rock ? A pizza stone acts like a portable brick oven by producing pizza crusts that are crisp and deliciously charred. With minimum effort and a trusty pizza stone, you can transform your kitchen into a trendy pizzeria, careless of whether you live in a studio apartment apartment or a cabin in the woods .
But, as these stones deliver special pies, they besides require special care. Unlike a dirty casserole dish, you do not want to soak your pizza stone nightlong in a sink of hot buttery water. In fact, you want to expose your pizza stone to as little water as possible. As a general principle, keep soap far away from your pizza stone .
sol, without soap and water, how do you clean a pizza stone ? Won ’ t it be germy and fetid without the periodic bathroom ? Well, pizza stones are quite unlike people. They can survive extreme estrus, which kills off germs. Bacteria multiply between 40 degrees Fahrenheit and 140 degrees Fahrenheit. You will cook your pizza on your pizza stone in temperatures at least three times ampere hot as that.
sol although pizza stone stains or caked-on grease may not make you ill, it is probably a beneficial idea to give your pizza stone a promptly clean after each use. here ’ s how to clean your pizza stone .
What to Use to Clean a Pizza Stone
A pizza stone is flat and normally made of a holey material like ceramic, stone or shed iron. The pizza stone will absorb whatever message you use to clean it with. This can potentially impact the flavor of the food. besides, besides much moisture will affect the pizza crust texture .
The pizza rock absorb moisture from the dough when heating the pizza, making a crisp crust. If there is water system trapped in the rock, it won ’ thyroxine cook the crust to a crisp .
Always make sure the pizza gem has cooled down earlier attempting to clean it. Heat can be trapped in there, and you don ’ t want to burn your hands or drop the pit like a hot potato .
The tools you need to clean your pizza stone are likely already in your kitchen. You want to use a joyride that is thin and can slide under adhere pieces of food or something abrasive to scrub away leftover dirty. Try to have one or more of these handy when it ’ south time to clean your pizza rock :
- Bench scraper
- Blunt table knife
- Metal spatula
- Plastic spatula
- Stone brush
- Scouring pads
Some of these tools could scratch your pizza stone, so only use them when you can ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate get rid of burned or stick pieces of food any early way. No matter what you do, never use dish soap or any clean chemicals on your pizza stone unless you like the taste of saponaceous pizza. The only clean liquid you should use with your pizza stone is water — and even that should be used in moderation .
Keeping Your Pizza Stone Safe
Yes, boring old water is the only moisture you want to introduce to your gem. however, there is a broil sodium carbonate and vinegar spread you can use for houseclean, which we ’ ll hash out in more detail late. And here ’ s what not to use on your pizza rock :
- Cleaning chemicals
Oils from the foods you cook will naturally build in the stone and make it a non-stick coat. If you let the pizza rock get besides wet, the rock will not bake the pizza crust right. rather, you want your pizza stone to be wholly dry before using it. If necessary, you can use a muffle towel to sweep any crumb away, but make certain the pizza pit is dry subsequently. We do not recommend putting your pizza stone in the oven to dry it because any at bay water in the stone could cause it to crack .
The Step-By-Step Process of Cleaning Your Pizza Stone
therefore, without soap and a sink filled with water system, here ’ s how to clean a pizza rock :
- Wet the surface with a small stream of hot water. Use as little water as you can because you will need to completely dry the pizza stone before using it again or storing it.
- Use a stone brush to scrub the pizza stone thoroughly.
- Wipe away any food particles with a damp rag.
- Allow the pizza stone to air dry or use a clean towel to dry the stone.
You may not need to use water at all if you can scrape away food with the brush beginning. Water might help loosen food, but it ’ s not necessary .
store your pizza stone in the oven to lower the chances of breaking it between uses, and it ’ ll be seasoned every clock you use the oven. It might take the oven longer to heat, though .
How to Clean Pizza Stone Stains
Stains on a pizza stone are symbols of love and attention. Think of the delicious pies you ’ ve created and baked on your stone. These stamps of good meals and full times are natural and desire parts of the stone. There is no need to remove the stains unless you can ’ metric ton stand the sight of them. If you want to remove stains, here ’ s what to do :
- Remove pieces of food first by scraping them away with a spatula or brush.
- Make a paste that consists of equal parts water and baking soda. For example, you might mix 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Scrub the paste on the stains. Use a brush and work the paste in circles until the stains are removed.
- Wipe with a damp cloth.
- Allow the stone to completely dry.
For dirt stains, cover the position with the baking pop spread, let it sit for a few minutes, then scrub the paste off with a brush and wipe the rock down with a damp rag. Unlike soap, baking pop will clean the stains off the gem without affecting the relish of future pizza .
Remember, it ’ randomness natural for your pizza stone to have dark stains, and you don ’ t need to worry about over-cleaning. A darken pizza stone means more flavorer and better non-stick might. Be proud of your stains !
To season a new pizza rock naturally and without caking it with oil or grease, bake a loiter of pantry bread or some cookies on your stone to begin the temper process. Just avoid cooking anything with a potent smack on your stone, such as fish, because the stone might absorb the smell .
How to Clean a Burned Pizza Stone
If there are pieces of food that reject to come off with a scraper or brush, you can give your pizza stone a deep scavenge in the oven. hera ’ randomness how :
- Set the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pizza stone in the oven on the top rack.
- Allow it to bake for about an hour.
- Check the stone. There should be grease bubbles forming and popping.
- Start the auto-clean cycle when the bubbling has stopped. If the stone is very dirty, it might produce a lot of smoke.
- Pieces of food should burn off.
- When the cycle has finished, wait for the oven to cool down.
- After it is cool, remove the pizza stone and wipe it down with a clean cloth.
ultimately, if the inflame doesn ’ metric ton clean the stone, you can sand down crumbs with a patch of medium-grit sandpaper .
How to Clean a Moldy Pizza Stone
If your pizza stone is moldy, the stone may have been exposed to besides a lot moisture. moisture is necessary for mold to grow, so you may be forgetting to let your pizza pit dry completely before storing it .
so, what should you do ? Try a baking pop and vinegar paste to remove the mold. All you need to do is :
- Mix a splash of vinegar with around a teaspoon of baking soda until the mixture reaches a paste-like consistency.
- Scrub the mold with a brush and the paste.
- Clean the stone with a damp cloth.
This paste can be used to remove stains, excessively. If this method acting does not get rid of the mold, you may want to toss your beloved pizza rock and get a fresh one. Although most molds can not survive temperatures above 140 degrees Fahrenheit, it might not be worth the risk to keep a moldy stone .
early substances like bleach, detergent, hydrogen peroxide and tea tree vegetable oil kill mildew, but we don ’ triiodothyronine recommend using any of these on a pizza pit. Remember, a pizza rock is porous, so it would absorb any chemicals placed on it, and some mold-killing chemicals are toxic .
What to Do If You Wash Your Pizza Stone With Soap
You come dwelling from knead and see all the dishes are done and sitting in the dry rack — how courteous ! Except, you notice your pizza stone sitting out on the kitchen anticipate, sparkling clean. suddenly, your heart drops. bloodcurdling thoughts of soapy-infused margherita pizza rush through your head. Who is creditworthy for this catastrophe ?
Before you douse your ally or spouse with smasher detergent as retaliation for destroying your pizza stone, take a deep hint. It might be okay. In fact, if your pizza stone was already heavily seasoned, you might not even notice a saponaceous taste. But to be on the safe side, here ’ s a magic trick you might try :
- Spread pop-can crescent rolls or old pieces of bread on the pizza stone covering the surface.
- Bake the rolls as instructed or until the bread is toasted.
- The dough you used should absorb the soapy flavor.
- Toss the crescent rolls and bread in the garbage or feed them to the person who used soap on your pizza stone. Just kidding — it was nice of them to wash your dishes, after all.
If you calm notice a soap season, don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate toss your pizza gem equitable so far. Try cleaning it with one of the above non-soap methods to help get rid of the saponaceous taste. The seasoning will build up again over time and cover undesirable flavors .
Pizza Stone FAQs
For immediate details on how to get a clean pizza stone, check out these coarse pizza stone questions and their answers :
Read more: How To Do a Smokey Eye
1. Is It OK to Wash a Pizza Stone?
You can wash your pizza stone a long as you cautiously follow the steps above, limit the amount of water system you use and don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate use soap, cleaning chemicals or oils .
2. Can You Use Dish Soap on a Pizza Stone?
You should never use cup of tea soap on your pizza stone. The pizza stone ’ mho pores will absorb the serve soap, giving any future pizza you make with the stone a slightly buttery taste .
3. What Should You Do if Soap Was Used on Your Pizza Stone?
If you or person else in your family by chance washes your pizza stone with soap, you can try to get rid of any buttery residue by covering the entire bake surface with unwind crescent rolls and baking a directed. When the rolls have finished baking, remove them from the stone and throw them out. The rolls should have absorbed most of the saponaceous season so your future pizza doesn ’ t taste like soap .
4. Should I Oil My Pizza Stone?
You should not petroleum your pizza stone because the stone ’ s porous surface does not season as a cast-iron frying pan does. In fact, seasoning a pizza stone does not offer any benefits .
5. Can You Wash a Pizza Stone in the Dishwasher?
You should not put your pizza stone in the dishwasher. Pizza stones are not dishwasher safe and may become damage if washed in this manner .
6. Can You Self-Clean a Pizza Stone in the Oven?
never leave your pizza stone in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle because the stone may break or crack .
7. Can You Use Steel Wool on a Pizza Stone?
Avoid using sword wool on a pizza stone because anything metallic or astute could scratch the stone. alternatively, use a bench scraper, stone brush or sandpaper to scrape stuck-on debris from your pizza rock .
8. How Do You Get Stuck Food off of a Pizza Stone?
If your pizza stone has some stubborn food remainder adhere to it, place the stone in the oven at about 500 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour. Once the stone is hot, it will be easier to scrape off any remaining debris because it won ’ thymine be as crusted onto the pit .
9. How Can You Get Grease Stains Out of Your Pizza Stone?
To get stains out of a pizza rock, mix water and baking pop into a paste in a small roll. Cover the mark with a bit of the glue, then use a brush to gently scrub the paste in a round movement. Rinse the paste off, and the stain should be removed .
10. How Often Should You Clean Your Pizza Stone?
Try to wipe down your pizza stone after each use when any stuck-on cheese or other debris will be the easiest to scrape off. This way, you don ’ t have to deep clean the gem with baking sodium carbonate and a scraper or brush as frequently — only when food residue very starts to pile up .
11. Can You Get All of the Stains Out of a Pizza Stone?
No matter how much you clean your pizza stone, you won ’ t be able to get every blot out. But don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate concern — these stains won ’ thyroxine affect the taste of your pizza creations. In fact, some people claim these stains can enhance the taste !
12. Can You Soak a Pizza Stone in Water?
never submerge your pizza rock in urine because any moisture trapped in the stone ’ south pores could affect the texture of your adjacent pizza crust .
13. Should You Air Dry a Pizza Stone?
You should allow your pizza rock to air dry rather of baking it dry because forcing any steep water out in the oven could make the rock snap .
14. How Long Does a Pizza Stone Take to Dry?
A pizza gem takes about an hour or indeed to breeze dry completely and be fix to use again .
15. How Long Should a Pizza Stone Last?
A pizza stone is signally durable and able to withstand years of wear and bust. Some genuine pizza fanatics can even use the same stone for more than a decade !
Other Pizza Stone Tips
here are a few more tips for getting the most out of your pizza stone .
How to Transfer Your Pizza With a Pizza Peel
What ’ s a pizza peel off ? It ’ s a long-handled, paddle-shaped tool used to slide under a pizza for comfortable transplant. For cooking at home, a square-headed pizza peel off should fit barely fine in your oven .
A wooden skin is a little more high-maintenance than other materials. It must be dried after washing to prevent heave, and it must occasionally be rubbed down with mineral oil to prevent stains and odors. Wooden peels are besides dense and unvoiced to slide under the pizza compared to other peels. On the bright side, it is far less likely for pizza dough to stick to a wooden skin .
A steel pizza peel off will be your easiest option to clean, but raw pizza boodle may stick to it. As the thinnest corporeal used for pizza peels, steel will easily slide under your pizza. You can avoid any stick by dusting the pizza skin with cornmeal or flour before transferring raw pizza to the oven. With your pizza stone and pizza peel, you ’ ll feel like the owner of your own pizza patronize .
How to Keep Your Stone From Cracking
If you open your oven door and see a crack pizza stone, your heart might break, besides. These fantastic stone slab can fissure if they aren ’ t used with circumspection. coarse reasons for a pizza stone to break admit :
- Temperature change: Placing a cold stone into a hot oven may create a temperature shock and cause the stone to break.
- Moisture: Excessive moisture from water or oil can weaken the pizza stone and eventually crack the stone. Double-check that the pizza stone is dry before placing it into the oven.
- Cold food: Be careful when placing a frozen pizza or cold dough on a hot stone. Remember, an extreme temperature difference can cause a crack. Use dough that is warm or room temperature. Avoid putting a frozen pizza on your stone altogether.
- Too much handling: We understand. You love your pizza stone. But before you consider cuddling with your pizza stone, realize that too much handling can weaken it. It’s best to try to leave it in the oven to minimize handling. If you are worried about other food getting on it, protect your stone by wrapping it in foil when not in use.
- Taking it out of the oven too soon: Another way to give it temperature shock is to throw a hot pizza stone on a cold counter or stovetop. Instead, give your pizza a little time to cool down in the oven before removal, and then set it onto a towel.
- Too much heat: Put a cold stone into a cold oven and give it plenty of time to preheat before adding the pizza. Transfer your pizza to the preheated stone with a pizza peel.
The best thing you can remember to prevent cracking your pizza rock is to avoid drastic temperature changes, and try not to handle it excessively much .
How to Preheat a Pizza Stone
To preheat a pizza stone, first put the cold stone into a cold oven. then, set the oven to at least 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the pizza stone heating system for an hour or no less than a half-hour .
In the interim, prepare your pizza and top it with all your favored toppings. Once the hour is up, cautiously transfer the pizza to the pizza stone .
Within 10 minutes or less, you should have a cover girl crisp brown crust, just like your favorite pizza living room pizza. The pizza could be ready in a fiddling longer or a short less, depending on how brown you want the crust and cheese. If you don ’ thymine own a pizza undress, use a big cutting board or any early large flat surface like a apartment cookie sheet to transfer the pizza .
When Not to Use a Pizza Stone
You love your pizza stone, and that ’ s big. We ’ re certain you won ’ thymine hurt its feelings if you ’ rhenium not in the climate for spending an evening with your pizza stone. In fact, sometimes there are situations when it is best not to use your pizza rock, such as :
- You’re starving.
- Your friends show up without calling, and they are starving.
- A relative steals your pizza peel.
- You sprain your wrist.
- Your favorite childhood movie is on TV, and you can’t look away no matter how hard you try.
- Your pet gives you sad eyes every time you attempt to get up.
- The thought of cooking makes you want to dive under the couch and cry.
It ’ second okay. You can hush satisfy your pizza craving without your pizza stone. All you need to do is pick up the telephone and let us handle it .
here at Giordano ’ s, we never get tired of making a delicious customs pizza. It ’ second what we do. We ’ ve been doing it for over 40 years, seven days a week. not to brag, but after all that clock time and feel, our pizza stones have developed very large muscles .
thus if you ’ rhenium dream of a slice of abstruse Dish or a Super Veggie Thin Crust, check out one of our locations and give yourself and your pizza rock a much-deserved rupture. When you ’ re quick to put your pizza stone to work again, visit our web log for inspiring and delectable pizza ideas or early pizza-related topics .