How do you buy more Southwest points?
Southwest Airlines partners with Points.com to sell its Rapid Rewards points. Follow these steps to bolster your points collection immediately. 1. Go to southwest.com, logarithm in to your report and click on rapid Rewards . 2. From there, click on Buy or Transfer Points . 3. suction stop on Buy points . 4. Choose how many points you want to buy . 5. Enter your requital details to complete the purchase .
How much do Southwest points cost?
The infrastructure cost to buy Southwest points starts at $ 60 for 2,000 points, which is 3 cents per point. As you buy larger amounts of points, the monetary value per point decreases. sometimes the airline offers a bonus points promotion, like 40 % off when you buy more than 15,000 points, which can make the monetary value per point drop even further. meanwhile, NerdWallet found the average value of a rapid Rewards point when redeemed for award flights is 1.4 cents each. If you buy Southwest points at the base rate of 3 cents per point, you ’ re paying more than double what they ’ rhenium worth. That ’ s why there are only a few instances when it makes sense to buy Southwest points.
When you should buy Southwest points
Unlike United Airlines or American Airlines miles, Southwest points have a fairly fixed rate. Because of this, it ‘s intemperate to find outsize value that justifies the cost to buy Rapid Rewards points. That being said, buying Southwest points can still make sense in a few scenarios, like :
- When you need a few points to script an award. Southwest Airlines doesn ’ thymine offer a points and cash choice to buy tickets. so if you ’ re a few points short for an award flight, buying a small number of points to bible makes sense .
- When you ‘re traveling with the Southwest Companion Pass. When you hold the Companion Pass, your designate companion can travel for free whenever you fly. This effectively doubles the value of your points, which makes it more attractive to buy Southwest points when you can buy them at a dependable price .
- During a bonus points promotion. Southwest holds regular bonus promotions where you will receive excess points on your purchase. These promotions can substantially increase the count of points you receive, which reduces the overall monetary value per point .
Alternatives to buying Southwest points
Because the price per point is higher than the average redemption value of Southwest Rapid Rewards points, you may be hesitant to purchase them. thankfully, there are option ways to earn extra Southwest points without flying :
- Spending on a Southwest citation batting order. When you have a Southwest citation calling card, you can earn points on every leverage. Plus, when you sign up for a new card, you have the potential to earn a welcome bonus .
- Partner offers. Southwest partners with a assortment of businesses where you can earn extra points by using their services or buying their products. These partners include rental cars, hotels and retailers .
- rapid Rewards Dining. Register your debit or recognition cards with Rapid Rewards Dining to earn extra points when you dine at participating restaurants .
- Online shopping. When you start your on-line shop at Rapid Rewards Shopping, you can earn extra points on your on-line purchases. Participating retailers include Kohl ‘s, Office Depot, Walgreens and American Eagle.
- transplant from Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Southwest Airlines is a transportation partner with Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Points are transferred on a 1:1 basis and there are no fees .
- Convert Marriott points. Marriott Bonvoy points convert to Southwest points at a 3:1 proportion. This means that 30,000 Marriott points yield 10,000 Southwest points. This method might lose you some rate because Marriott points are worth about 0.7 cent each, so you ’ five hundred convert 2.1 cents of Marriott points into 1.4 cents of Southwest points. Though if you won ’ thyroxine manipulation the Marriott points anyhow, converting would make sense .
- Cancel another approaching trajectory. Canceling a flight booked with points returns the unused points back into your explanation without any exhalation date. This could be useful if you need those points more urgently, and you can rebook the other flight later .
frequently asked questions Does buying points count toward the Southwest Companion Pass ? No. Although buy points can be used to ledger travel, they do not count toward earning the Southwest companion Pass. To earn the Southwest Companion Pass, you must fly 100 one-way qualifying flights or earn 125,000 Companion Pass qualifying points. These points can be earned on gross flights, collaborator hotel stays and cable car rentals, and spend or welcome bonuses from any of the Rapid Rewards credit rating cards . Can I get Southwest a-list condition by buying points ? No, purchased points do not count toward elect status with Southwest Airlines. a-list and a-list Preferred are the elect condition levels for Southwest Airlines, and they ‘re earned based on one-way segments flown and tier qualifying points earned. Additionally, some Southwest citation cards, like the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card, earn up to 15,000 tier qualifying points per year, based on your spend . Does buying Southwest points code as a travel leverage ? Points purchases do not count as “ airfare ” or “ travel, ” so you will not earn bonus points when you use a travel recognition circuit board. however, you will earn rewards from your credit batting order at its non-bonus rate for the leverage. Your best stake is to use the leverage toward earning a welcome bonus, meeting a spend hurdle or using a credit menu that earns high rewards on non-bonus purchases. Does buying points reckon toward the Southwest Companion Pass ? No. Although buy points can be used to book travel, they do not count toward earning the Southwest companion Pass. To earn the Southwest Companion Pass, you must fly 100 one-way qualifying flights or earn 125,000 Companion Pass qualifying points. These points can be earned on gross flights, spouse hotel stays and car rentals, and spending or welcome bonuses from any of the Rapid Rewards credit rating cards. Can I get Southwest a-list status by buying points ? No, purchased points do not count toward elect condition with Southwest Airlines. a-list and a-list Preferred are the elect condition levels for Southwest Airlines, and they ‘re earned based on one-way segments flown and tier qualifying points earned. Additionally, some Southwest credit cards, like the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card, earn improving to 15,000 tier qualifying points per year, based on your spending. Does buying Southwest points code as a travel purchase ? Points purchases do not count as “ airfare ” or “ travel, ” so you will not earn bonus points when you use a travel credit poster. however, you will earn rewards from your credit calling card at its non-bonus rate for the buy. Your best count is to use the leverage toward earning a welcome bonus, meeting a spend hurdle or using a credit rating tease that earns high rewards on non-bonus purchases.
The bottom line
For travelers who need extra points, Southwest Airlines allows Rapid Rewards members to buy points to boost their bill balance. While these points can be used to reserve travel, they do not count toward earning the Companion Pass or A-List elect condition. Buying Southwest points can be importantly more expensive than the value of those points. Because of that, there are alone a handful of situations where it makes sense to buy them. For most people, it makes sense to buy Southwest points only when you need to top off your account to book an prize flight or when a forwarding brings the monetary value down significantly. Better options to boost your account balance are to earn points through a collaborator, spend on your Southwest recognition batting order, transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards® or convert Marriott Bonvoy points.
Read more: The Best Classic Chili – The Wholesome Dish
How to maximize your rewards
You want a locomotion credit card that prioritizes what ’ s significant to you. here are our picks for the best travel credit rating cards of 2022, including those best for :