- Finding a Job
How To Become a Professor: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide
How To Become a Professor: A Complete Step-by-Step Guide
By indeed Editorial Team
Published 27 July 2021TwitterLinkedInFacebookEmail Professors are creditworthy for providing high-level education and guidance in particular streams to students in colleges, universities and other institutions of higher learn. Being a professor can be a reward career, but it can take several years to fulfil the eligibility requirements. You may benefit from selecting educational goals that align with this career choice. In this article, we explore how to become a professor, what a professor does, the qualifications you need to become a professor and the job mentality for professors .
How to become a professor
You might find the play along steps helpful for becoming a college professor :
1. Decide your specialisation and earn a bachelor’s degree
Decide early on if you want to become a professor in the arts, commerce or skill stream and pass your 12th Higher secondary Certification examination with at least 80-90 % aggregate marks. This may help you enrol in a knight bachelor ‘s degree program of your choice. It is essential to maintain a high academic record and complete your graduation good above the minimum requirement of 50-55 % aggregate marks .
2. Pursue a master’s degree
Take the GATE examination, enroll in a chief ‘s degree program of your choice and complete it with more than the minimum prerequisite of 50-55 % aggregate marks. By clearing the master ‘s degree program with a good score, you may be eligible to work as a lecturer or a demonstrator. The solve have is probable to help you advance in your career .
3. Pass competitive exams
After getting a victor ‘s academic degree, you can appear for and pass the NET, the SET or the CSIR NET competitive examination. The net makes you eligible for assistant professor jobs in every college and university throughout the area, but the SET lone gives you eligibility for assistant professor jobs within the state you cleared the examination. By taking the CSIR NET, you may be selected for a lecturer position or get a junior research family .
4. Obtain a doctoral degree
following, you can enrol in a doctoral degree program. Having a doctoral degree can exempt you from appearing for the competitive examination, and you can immediately apply for a college professor military position .
5. Gain practical experience
Consider specialising in a particular field to receive a drill license in order to gain practical experience. By acquiring a nurse license, for exemplify, you can gain nurse feel that can supplement your teach of the subject. You can besides gain teaching experience while inactive completing your education by tutoring children or adults, working as a scholar teacher or holding a part-time teaching placement. Volunteering for a research role might besides give you helpful experience for teaching a subject. Related : How To Write Work Experience on Your CV
6. Research and publish academic work
write well-researched blogs, articles and papers on your blog or web site and contribute to academician blogs, websites, magazines and other publications to establish yourself as an authority in your discipline. It is substantive to publish at least five high-quality papers or books to advance from an adjunct professor post to associate professor and have at least ten inquiry publications to qualify from associate degree professor to professor .
7. Search and apply to academic positions
search for positions on college or university websites, on-line caper boards, professional network groups and social media. It may help to customise your curriculum vitae and cover letter for every subcontract application and to practise answering the questions that interviewers are most probable to ask at speculate interviews. Related : How to Write a Resume Employers Will Notice
What does a professor do?
As a professional educator in a college, university or other institution, a college professor may do the trace :
- Oversee scholar admissions to course programs
- Develop class syllabuses and course materials
- Review and amend existing teaching materials
- teach and oversee graduate and graduate student students
- Prepare and conduct examinations and evaluate examination papers
- trail and mentor adjunct professors
- Assist graduate students with research make
- Undertake scholar counselling
- Participate in departmental, staff and committee meetings
- Give guest lectures at other colleges and universities
Read more : Receding hairline: Treatment, stages, and causes
- Organise public talks in museums, residential district halls and other public centres to promote learning opportunities
- Conduct research, lead discipline trips and investigate specific topics
- Write and publish inquiry reports, papers, articles and books
- Attend conferences, make presentations and network with other academics
Related : How To Find Your Desired Career Path
What qualifications do you need to be a professor?
To become a professor, you need the play along qualifications :
You need a master ‘s degree in any stream with a commodity academic record. It is necessity to have a minimal aggregate of 55 % marks if you are in a general category and a minimum of 50 % marks if you are in the minority or protected group .
Competitive exam score
It is required to have appeared for and passed any of the following government-approved competitive exams :
- National Eligibility Test ( NET ) : the National Testing Agency ( NTA ), under the University Grants Commission ( UGC ), conducts this examination twice a year to select lecturers for colleges and universities all over the country .
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering ( GATE ) : the GATE committee conducts this examination once a year. The seduce is valid for three years, and you can use it to get admission into maestro ‘s or doctoral programs .
- State Level Eligibility Test ( SET ) : the NTA conducts the SET in English and slang languages once a year, and clearing it allows you to work as a lecturer in a state-level college or university .
- council of Scientific and Industrial Research ( CSIR ) net : the NTA conducts the national-level CSIR NET doubly a year to approve candidates from unlike science fields for lector positions or junior inquiry fellowships .
You can become a professor directly, without appearing for the competitive examination, if you have a doctoral degree that you have earned through regular mode. This means at least two external examiners have evaluated your research dissertation, and you have appeared for oral voce. You besides need to have published at least two refer research papers .
Teaching experience and skills
It is necessary to have three to 14 years of teach and mentoring know in a ball educational arrange. A convinced, incontrovertible lookout can help, as can using advanced teach methods that resonate with your students. You must have excellent communication and presentation skills and be able to explain your discipline with clarity and heat. You may besides benefit from having good organization, clock time management and problem-solving abilities .
Research and publications
You need to publish several peer-reviewed papers, articles or books that show the depth of your cognition and research. You must besides be active in researching and presenting late developments in your field .
How long does it take to become a professor?
It can take many years of hard work and persistent efforts to become a college professor. For a full-time status as a professor, you must complete a three-year or four-year bachelor ‘s degree, a biennial master ‘s degree and happen state or national-level competitive exams. additionally, you may need several years of teach or research have. You can besides choose to get a doctoral degree, which can take three to six years beyond a master ‘s program .
Can you be a professor with a master’s degree?
You can become an adjunct professor with a headmaster ‘s degree if you can fulfil the play along conditions :
- You have at least 55 % marks in the master ‘s degree course of study from a acknowledge university .
- You have passed the UGC NET, UGC SET or CISR NET competitive examination .
- You have some teaching or research have .
What is the job outlook like for professors?
The job lookout for a professor is estimable, with stable speculate opportunities available in private and government educational institutions. The national average wage for professors is ₹8,44,895 per class. An adjunct professor earns ₹5,11,686 per class, and an adjunct professor earns ₹5,57,296 per class. The wage of an consociate professor is ₹11,10,222 per year. You may make well more if you work in elite institutes like the Indian Institute of Technology ( IIT ), the indian Institute of Management ( IIM ), the Birla Institute of Technology ( BIT ) and the All Indian Institute of Medical Sciences ( AIIMS ). Your wage range besides may go up with each promotion you receive. many professors advance to become deans and chancellors. Related : How to Get the Job You Want
What is the best way to find a professor job?
The best way to find a professor job is to begin your job search while still completing your education. Research private, government and research-based educational institutions to find out about available teaching positions, required qualifications and remuneration. Narrow down the list to the institutions and jobs that align with your credentials, interests and expectations. If any of them offer part-time positions, consider sending your lotion. You can improve your chances of finding the job of your choice by networking with people in academia. You can besides attend seminars and conferences, enter in on-line groups and forums, be active on sociable media and pledge to academician newsletters and magazines. wage figures reflect data listed on indeed Salaries at time of writing. Salaries may vary depending on the lease constitution and a campaigner ‘s feel, academic background and location.