- Finding a Job
How To Become a Professional Dancer (With Steps)
How To Become a Professional Dancer (With Steps)
By indeed Editorial Team
May 13, 2021TwitterLinkedInFacebookEmail Becoming a professional dancer requires passion, decision and commitment. You must invest fourth dimension in building your trade to have a successful career. Hard work is an essential quality a professional dancer possesses. In this article, we will explain what a professional dancer is, what a professional dancer does, how to become one, skills, wage and job lookout .
What is a professional dancer?
A professional dancer is an individual who has qualifications, skills and aim in a particular form of dance. professional dancers showcase choreographed dance in front of an audience and use their bodies to convey emotions that tell a history. They specialize in assorted dancing styles like mod dance, contemporary, street dance, ballet and hip-hop, and appear in theater productions, movies, music videos and Broadway shows .
What does a professional dancer do?
A professional dancer works with directors, choreographers and early dancers to develop dance sequences for performances. professional dancers work in a professional dress and are employed by large dance companies. They spend time eruditeness complex routines and interpreting the work of the choreographer. other responsibilities master dancers have are :
- outgo clock rehearsing for performances
- Attending and preparing for auditions
- Studying different types of dance
- Practicing guard
- Learning how to use other skills, like acting or singing
- Showing up on clock for rehearsals, promotional events and auditions
- Maintaining good relationships with other dancers, instructors and senior staff
professional dancers work in a assortment of industries but chiefly fall under these three categories. These are :
- party dancers : caller dancers are normally hired by one company that they regularly perform with for a long time .
- commercial dancers : commercial dancers are normally freelancers who work in commercial projects that include movies, music, cruise ships, musicals and commercials .
- dance teachers : dancing teachers frequently become teachers when they can no longer dance or find that teaching is their passion .
How to become a professional dancer
professional dancers are passionate, determine and haunting toward achieving their goals. here are some steps to help you transition to professional dance :
1. Receive extensive training
You do n’t need any qualifications or a degree to become a professional dancer, but trail is an significant factor. master dancers begin their education at the historic period of five and start auditioning for permanent work at 18. The train helps with the exploitation of muscle strength and techniques needed to turn endowment into a profession. dancing companies and performing art schools offer students the experience they need to gain entree to a professional dance company. People who are new to dance should start with ballet classes because they offer a capital foundation for gaining intensity, brawn memory and flexibility to help them with any dancing stylus .
2. Consider getting a bachelor’s degree
It is n’t mandate to have a academic degree to become a professional dancer, but majoring in dance can give you exposure to different dance genres. You besides have the option of concentrating on a specific dance. A kind of universities and colleges offer majors in dancing through the finely arts or dramaturgy departments. In a dance major, you learn about :
- choreography : You learn performance skills through versatile dancing techniques and ways of expressing yourself through stage dancing .
- production : As a scholar, you learn about the processes of backstage production. This can include sound operation, how to run a faint board, costumes, lighting blueprint and stage management .
- Dance history : You learn about the origins of dance and how people from different continents view dance from a social, ceremonial and cultural perspective .
- teaching : You learn how to develop teaching skills to teach classes to people from different senesce groups and communities .
- bowel movement and body alliance : You learn about muscle coordination and soundbox model .
3. Gain experience
If you want to increase your chances of getting hired as a professional dancer, you should consider relocating to a city where entertainment thrives. however, take clock to research artwork communities in your area where you can volunteer to dance. You can besides gain experience by :
- Taking classes : Participating in dance classes helps you build your craft, stay physically healthy and gain more know. dance classes besides increase your chances of getting booked during auditions because the conductor or choreographer may be conversant with your work or have experience working with you .
- Attending workshops : The majority of dance workshops are conducted by established choreographers and members of dance companies. The choreographers are always attentive to see who is following instructions and making improvements. Always try to make a good stamp when attending workshops because it can lead to future operation opportunities .
Related : work Experience and Your career : definition, Importance and Tips
4. Learn about union jobs
big dance companies are affiliated with a union, and jobs relating to television receiver, film and Broadway are union jobs. You must have a union card to be eligible for auditions. A union calling card identifies you as a lawful member of a union and allows a union to represent you. here are some unions that represent dancers :
- screen Actors Guild/American Federation of Television and Radio Artists ( SAG-AFTRA ) : They represent dancers, recording artists, new writers, stunt performers and early media professions .
- Actor ‘s Equity Association ( AEA ) : They represent Broadway shows.
- American Guild of Musical Artists ( AGMA ) : They represent the New York City Ballet .
- American Guild of Variety Artists ( AGVA ) : They represent performing artists .
Read more : What Is a Union ?
5. Find a talent agent
Establishing yourself as a professional dancer can be challenging ; this is why most dancers decide to work with a talent agent. A talent agent is a professional committed to helping clients navigate the entertainment industry and help their clients find auditions and submit dance reels and resumes. They make the process of pursuing a professional dance career easier. You must take time to research and find a well-respected agent. A marriage normally represents a reputable agent. Laws in different states vary regarding endowment agents, but an agentive role should n’t request any payment from you. They typically get paid 10 % deduction of your earnings when you bible a job. You must find an agent who shares your imagination and is interested in you. Asking other dancers or choreographers for recommendations is a tone, or you can research agency websites to see what kind of clients they represent. You must have these three things cook earlier applying to your ideal means :
- recommendation letter : You can ask your dance teacher to write a recommendation letter that highlights your strengths .
- resume : Your sketch should detail your education and performance have, including what you have done, the name of the visualize you danced in and who you work for. If you have not worked on a professional stick out, you can list the competitions, local anesthetic productions and musicals you have participated in to add to your performance experience .
- Dance footage : The agency wants to see your skills, so shuffle certain you record a routine that showcases your manner and endowment. Related : How To Become a endowment agent
6. Build your resume
When you go for auditions, some may require your sum up. Your dance sketch should have important details, including :
- dance reel : This is a short compilation of video footage that showcases your skills and experience as a dancer. It is normally a few minutes hanker. You must have a dance virginia reel regardless of which production or project you apply for .
- Headshots : Current, professional headshots are needed because they help choreographers, agents and casting directors remember you. Headshots besides provide choreographers and directors with an easier way of deciding which dancers may be the best paroxysm for the company or output. Your headshots must present your current expression and must be clean .
- sketch : Your resume should be easy to read, precise and concise. It should include your full name, telephone number, e-mail address, union status and dance experience .
7. Attend auditions
Auditions are a massive part of a dancer ‘s life. You get to showcase your skills and talents to diligence professionals. The action can be overwhelming whether you are auditioning for a dancing company or college, but preparing for them can ease the process and reduce stress. here are some things that can help the hearing process : Go over the audition application : many lotion forms provide all-important information on how the audition process works. It is crucial to write down a checklist of the requirements for dress codes and rules to make certain you follow them .
- Do research : In some instances, you may know the choreographer you perform for in improvement. Researching their videos to gain insights into their style can give you commission on how to provide an excellent operation .
- exercise on your freestyle : The directors or choreographers may want you to perform a freestyle to determine what sets you apart from other dancers. You should commit your freestyle regularly to have confidence .
- Rehearse for your auditions : For commercial dance, a lot of auditions are done on camera. You should practice your close-ups by having a supporter or class extremity film you .
- Get adequate sleep : You should get at least eight hours of sleep before the audition to give you the energy and focus you need for the performance .
- arrive early : To make a good stamp, set the dismay in the good morning to get fix and leave your home early .
- Dress appropriately : Your attire should be comfortable and appropriate for the dance stylus and provide easy motion. Your clothing should besides align with the rules of the auditions. Keep in heed that the judges besides want to see your body, so wear something fitting to show your form. If you are auditioning for a classical class like ballet, sleep together or modern dance, wear a leotard and tights. Some auditions have rigid rules and require you to wear a uniform. Always go by the rules .
- Be observant of the judge ‘s reactions : Pay attention to how the Judges react to other dancers who are performing. Observing the judges ‘ facial expressions and body terminology can help you avoid the like mistakes the early dancers make and inspire you to improve your performance .
Related : How To Become a endowment agent
8. Remain healthy
To have a durable master dance career, you must maintain your health and persuasiveness. You should avoid processed foods and consume hale foods alternatively. additionally, exercise regularly by doing cardio workouts like running, naiant, bicycle and lifting weights to strengthen your muscles. This helps reduce the occurrences of injuries .
Skills for a professional dancer
apart from being talented, you need to possess skills that can help you have a successful career. These skills are :
- creativity : You need to have concern, advanced ways to express your ideas through dance .
- physical strength : You need to have excellent mobility and potency to move your body without losing your balance or falling and have the ability to work for extensive periods .
- interpersonal skills : You must have the ability to interact with others efficaciously because you will work with many people .
- discipline : You must have a good attitude, follow the rules and meet requirements .
- continuity : You must stay committed to years of train and get the better of obstacles and discouragement in the future .
- active listening : You must be able to pay attention to the instructions given by directors and choreographers .
Related : **Soft Skills : Definitions and Examples
Read more: Treatment Options for a Herniated Disc
Salary and job outlook
According to the U.S Bureau of Labor and Statistics, employment for dancers is expected to grow by 2 % from 2019 to 2029. The majority of jobs come from private dance schools. The average wage for a dancer is $ 45,905 per class ( $ 19.63 per hour ) .