(updated daily) for a list of what is open, hours of operation, and COVID-19 updates.
Jump to: —— Desert View —– North Rim —– Remote Tuweep
South Rim – Open All Year
Grand Canyon Village is the center of action and the transportation hub for the South Rim of the ballpark. The village is the only place where the railroad track reaches the rim of Grand Canyon.
Grand Canyon Village Zones. (right) Visitor Center and Mather Point. (middle) Market Plaza, store, bank, post office, campgrounds. (left) Historic District: railroad depot, historic lodges, shops. Parking lots are shown in red. Lots that have space for RVs or cars pulling trailers are shown with a green arrow.
South Rim: Grand Canyon Village has 3 “Zones,” or Districts.
- The Visitor Center / Mather Point, where most visitors park and get their first look at Grand Canyon. Four large parking areas are located here as well as the transit center for the park’s free shuttle buses.
- Market Plaza – the business center where the general store, bank and US Post Office are located. This zone is adjacent to Mather Campground, and Trailer Village RV park.
- The Historic District, where the Grand Canyon Village started back in “pioneer days”, around 120 years ago. The railroad depot is located here, as well as the historic lodges and livery operation.
Four South Rim shuttle bus routes are in operation this leap. Face masks/coverings are required before boarding. Details >
View from Desert View Point – NPS/Kristen Caldon NPS Photo by Kristen M. Caldon
Desert View is a minor colonization on the South Rim located 23 miles/ 37 km east of Grand Canyon Village, near the eastern edge of Grand Canyon. Arizona State Route 64, besides known as Desert View Drive, is a scenic road that connects Desert View with Grand Canyon Village .
- Desert View Campground is open April 15 through October 16, 2022. ( NO HOOK-UPS ).
Desert View Campground now requires advanced reservations. You may book reservations up to 6 months in advance online at recreation.gov, or by phone (877-444-6777). Same Day Reservations may also be made online or by phone. More >.
The well known view from Grand Canyon Lodge’s Veranda
Lodging, restaurants and shops are overt May 15, through October 15, of each class. During winter months, the North Rim is closed by snow .
A worthwhile slip for those who enjoy the road less travel, the North Rim, or “ other side ” of the Grand Canyon is visited by only 10 % of all Grand Canyon visitors. There is one lodge, Grand Canyon Lodge ( managed by Forever Resorts ) and one campsite on the North Rim operated by the NPS .
- North Rim Lodging Reservations
- North Rim Campground Reservations
- General North Rim Information .
The hike across the canyon from South Rim to North Rim is 21 miles (34 km). However, traveling from the South Rim to the North Rim by automobile requires a five-hour drive of 220 miles (354 km). Driving directions to the North Rim.
3,000 ft above river
remote control Tuweep
Tuweep is besides located on the north side of Grand Canyon. The opinion from Toroweap Overlook, 3000 vertical feet ( 914 meters ) above the Colorado River, is a breathtaking bluff drop.
This outback and primitive sphere, known as both Tuweep and Toroweap, is on the northwest flange of the Grand Canyon on the Arizona Strip. A visit to this area can be challenging, but rewarding.
Since the National Park Service manages the area for its primitive values, improvements and services are minimal.
Learn more about remote Tuweep >