Broccoli is high in many nutrients, including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin K, iron, and potassium. It besides boasts more protein than most other vegetables. This green vegetable can be enjoyed both bleak and cook, but recent research shows that pacify steaming provides the most health benefits ( 1, 2 ). This article tells you everything you need to know about broccoli . share on Pinterest
Raw broccoli contains about 90 % urine, 7 % carbs, 3 % protein, and about no fat. Broccoli is very low in calories, providing alone 31 calories per cup ( 91 grams ). The nutriment facts for 1 cup ( 91 grams ) of sensitive broccoli are ( 3 ) :
- Calories: 31
- Water: 89%
- Protein: 2.5 grams
- Carbs: 6 grams
- Sugar: 1.5 grams
- Fiber: 2.4 grams
- Fat: 0.4 grams
Broccoli ’ s carbs chiefly consist of fiber and sugars. The sugars are fructose, glucose, and sucrose, with small amounts of lactose and maltose ( 4 ). however, the sum carb subject is very depleted, with merely 3.5 grams of digestible carbs per cup ( 91 grams ) .
Fiber is an significant part of a goodly diet. It can promote catgut health, help prevent respective diseases, and aid weight loss ( 5, 6 ). One cup ( 91 grams ) of raw broccoli provides 2.3 grams of fiber, which is about 5–10 % of the Daily Value ( DV ) ( 7 ) .
SUMMARY Broccoli is depleted in digestible carbs but provides a properly amount of roughage, which promotes gut health and may reduce your risk of versatile diseases .
Proteins are the build blocks of your body, necessity for both growth and alimony. Broccoli is relatively high in protein, which makes up 29 % of its dry weight, compared to most vegetables.
Read more: The Best Aerobic Exercises for Men
however, because of its high water system subject, 1 cup ( 91 grams ) of broccoli only provides 3 grams of protein .
SUMMARY Broccoli is higher in protein than most vegetables. That said, the sum of protein in each serve is relatively abject .
Vitamins and minerals
Broccoli contains a variety of vitamins and minerals, including ( 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ) :
- Vitamin C. An antioxidant, this vitamin is important for immune function and skin health. A 1/2-cup (45-gram) serving of raw broccoli provides almost 70% of the DV.
- Vitamin K1. Broccoli contains high amounts of vitamin K1, which is important for blood clotting and may promote bone health.
- Folate (vitamin B9). Particularly important for pregnant women, folate is needed for normal tissue growth and cell function.
- Potassium. An essential mineral, potassium is beneficial for blood pressure control and heart disease prevention.
- Manganese. This trace element is found in high amounts in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
- Iron. An essential mineral, iron has many important functions in your body, such as the transport of oxygen in red blood cells.
Broccoli besides contains numerous other vitamins and minerals in smaller amounts. In fact, it provides a little bite of about every alimentary you need .
SUMMARY Broccoli is high in many vitamins and minerals, including vitamin bc, potassium, manganese, iron, and vitamins C and K1 .
Other plant compounds
Broccoli is rich in versatile antioxidants and plant compounds, which contribute to its health benefits. These include ( 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ) :
- Sulforaphane. One of the most abundant and extensively studied plant compounds in broccoli, sulforaphane may protect against various types of cancer.
- Indole-3-carbinol. A unique nutrient found in cruciferous vegetables, this compound may help fight cancer.
- Carotenoids. Broccoli contains lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta carotene, which may all contribute to better eye health.
- Kaempferol. An antioxidant with many benefits for health, this compound may protect against heart disease, cancer, inflammation, and allergies.
- Quercetin. This antioxidant has numerous benefits, including lowering blood pressure in people with high levels.
SUMMARY Broccoli is high in many plant compounds that have been associated with health benefits. The most abundant one is sulforaphane .
Broccoli is normally well tolerated, and allergy is rare. however, some considerations are deserving mentioning ( 39 ) .
Broccoli is considered a goitrogen, which means that senior high school amounts may harm the thyroid gland in sensitive individuals. Cooking this vegetable on high inflame can reduce these effects ( 40 ) .
Individuals taking the blood sparse warfarin should consult with their healthcare practitioner before increasing their broccoli intake because its high vitamin K1 content may interact with this medicine ( 41 ) .
SUMMARY Broccoli is normally well tolerated. still, it may have undesirable effects on the thyroid in some people and may interfere with blood-thinning medicine .
The bottom line
Broccoli is one of the global ’ s most democratic vegetables. It is slowly to prepare and edible both sensitive and cook.
Read more: How to Tie a Tie: 7 Knots for All Occasions
It is high in many nutrients, including a kin of plant compounds called isothiocyanates, which may have numerous health benefits. It is besides a decent generator of fiber and higher in protein than most other vegetables. If you ’ rhenium looking for a health hike, consider adding this cruciferous vegetable to your diet today .